Chapter 13

Moyo and Sheline have been living as husband and wife for three weeks, blending as a couple. Much of what they do is to watch movies and their wedding day video clip, which Sheline just can't stop slotting into the DVD player. At other times she chats with her mom and friends over the phone and through WhatsApp.

Ready to do some washing this Saturday morning, Sheline places a hand on the door handle, heading to a neighbourhood store to pick up household items.

"I want to buy washing powder."

Seeing his woman dressed up, Moyo lifts from the sofa. "Let me get it for you."

"No, please."

"Then I'll escort you there."

"Don't bother. If you keep doing things for me every time, I won't know places around here."

"With time, you will."

"When you're at work, will I be calling you on phone if I want to buy tomato puree?"

He concedes and drops to the chair. "Okay, dear. Don't stay long."

"I won't."

As soon as she climbs down the stairs, Moyo rushes to the window, watching as she walks towards the neighbourhood store. This is the fifty-third time he'll be window-peeping since their wedding day. This time though, he nods several times, acknowledging that he made a good choice for a wife. This one isn't one of those who pretend before the wedding only to reveal their true colour after the bridal ring slides into their finger.

Heart pounding with every step she takes, Moyo recalls the personal goal he'd set in his younger days. The fantasy had been to marry a beautiful lady he would love with every bit of his heart, a source of joy each time he looks at her. And yes, every time Moyo glances at Sheline, he finds her a promise fulfilled. Every passing day exposes a sweeter part of her he didn't notice the day before.

Her beauty isn't just about her physical attributes. More precious are those traits locked within her heart. Soft and mild-mannered, she's an embodiment of virtues and morality. This lady wakes up in the morning to read the scriptures, praying that her husband has a problem-free day.

Sheline isn't the type who interrupts when someone talks. She'll listen attentively until one makes his point, giving a reticent impression. When she speaks, it amazes at the torrent of words that flows from her bright lips.

Moyo sometimes misses her point when they discuss, unsure whether to listen to what's being said or to savour the tenderness of her voice which echoes in his head as if coming from a place of alien origin. Can he stop marvelling at the fleshy lips from whence sweet words emerge?

Long after she's spoken, he'll try to recall her words. Did she just ask a question for which she expects an answer or she made a statement? "Come again," he often says.

"You're not listening to me." She'll giggle.

"I'm listening a hundred percent, but please come again. Your accent is still the Morningside accent. I know you'll adjust."

Her accent makes English delightful to the ears. At times, he'll tease and tickle her to no end, just to hear her speak. The decision to wed her before leaving for the university seems perfect. Otherwise, proposing to her with a degree at hand would be akin to mountain climbing. He caught her young and that's paying off.

Gone are the days when he'll wake up alone, go to work leaving no one behind and return with a restaurant's takeaway pack. Gone are the days when he'll wake up thinking of how to clean up the flat. Sheline brings with her bag-loads of domestic skills which include cleaning and cooking, washing and interior décor, all of which she does with a happy face, with relish.