Chapter 35

Sheline arrives at the reception area of Johannesburg Park Station into the waiting hands of Margaret who lurches forward to grab her niece she's meeting for the first time. "Welcome to South Africa, my dear." Her yell draws surprised gazes from commuters, but the excited lady doesn't care who's disturbed. How else will she welcome her only sister's daughter?

"Aunty Maggie!" Sheline rushes into Margaret's outstretched arms as the two hug like childhood pals, during which the older lady muses over her tortuous encounters since leaving Zimbabwe years back. They set each other free and embrace again more passionately, tears flowing from each person's eyes.

The newly-married Bulawayo lady pauses for a moment, smiling, glancing over this woman her mom talks about so much. What comes to mind is to compare Margaret to Audrey.

Margaret is lighter in complexion and looks different from the pictures she'd seen. Well, motherhood has a way of changing people's looks. "Auntie Maggie!" She hugs yet again.

"Let's take care of your luggage. We have to start going now, it's getting late." The young lady doesn't have to taste Joburg's whipping stick on her first day here.

The duo takes an Uber taxi to Soweto, exchanging banters while playing catch-up. Indeed there's a whole lot to talk about. "How have you been coping all these years?" Sheline can't wait.

"Hmm. It hasn't been easy, my dear." Margaret sighs. "Just let's get home so you can relax and take a rest."

Sheline keeps peeping out of the window, asking about Johannesburg, to which Margaret provides answers to the best of her knowledge. "These people don't have economic problems as we have back home," Sheline says, marvelling at the sights and sounds of Jozi.

"Well, not like in Zimbabwe."

"No fuel problems. No queuing for food."

"There are no jobs here. Everyone holds tight to whatever they do."

It warms Sheline's heart to see billboards of familiar brands: telcos, banks and insurance companies, department stores, pasta brands and what have you. They're all here.

The curious lady draws comparisons with Bulawayo which now looks somewhat less modern. Although the similarities between both cities are starking, Joburg is much bigger and by far more crowded. The vibes she's already feeling tickles in no small way.

What's most noticeable is the difference in accent. Sheline considers her Bulawayo accent friendlier to the ears. Nevertheless, she's glad to be in Joburg where she'll study for three years.

"I hope this city has goodies for me." Sheline turns to Margaret.

"Sure. This place welcomes everyone. But you have to work hard to get what you want. Competition is tough."

On getting to her Soweto apartment building, no neighbour of Margaret sees the need to welcome Sheline, a situation the young lady finds awkward, having been used to interacting with neighbours back home. Is it because it's a Saturday when people have social engagements? Or must she knock on their doors to announce her arrival? She changes her mind on seeing moving blinds and peeping faces. The snub is deliberate.

Margaret ignores Sheline's inquiries about the neighbours. The novice will soon learn how things work here. They each clutch to two bags as they slog to the third floor of the seven-storey building, where Margaret's two kids linger by the door.

"Welcome, sister Sheline." The older one, Forgive, a nine-year-old girl, greets with open hands. She tries to collect one of the bags from Sheline but quickly abandon the thoughts, considering the size.