Chapter 30

Polemann residents get a whiff of the big celebration day when PartyLake trucks drive into the street carrying canopies and party accessories. The company had to reach out to their remote warehouses to meet Bandele's needs. Before occupants of the castle shows up, self-appointed supervisors among residents welcome the trucks with smiles and banters. The significance of the day is lost on none.

Another sign of a big day is the signpost at the street's entrance which displays the message: "Polemann Street will be closed from 2 pm till further notice. Road users take note."

Joyous residents cancel their programmes for the day. A few take the day off at work. Others report for duty but return early. The jobless ones gather as early as 7 am, ridding the street of plastic and paper filth.

Cars parked indiscriminately disappear from the service lanes, for fear of losing them completely or in part. Assorted species of hoodlums will flood the street today, all of whom will be celebrating with Bandele. Police patrol vehicles parole the street very early to dissuade talented trouble-makers from getting creative.

While the sun smiles on the horizon, the ambience of Polemann turns festive when the first deejay arrives – to the cheer of youngsters. She sets up her equipment at the roundabout end of the street, dishing out vibes from Big Nuz and Babes Wodumo.

Vans tagged Ulambile Foods cruise through the street, spreading the aroma of freshly made delicacies. While they set up in the space allotted them, residents start taking their seats, dressed in party attire. Employees of PartyRobbots move around taking charge of programmes and security.

The arrival of trucks carrying fresh juices gets the crowd clapping, but the noise reaches soccer stadium levels when Makro Liquor vans sail into sight. The prospect of limitless alcohol slackens salivating jaws, just as some take to the dance floor.

"Awwa! We will drink and die today!" Pius-de-Drunk, a popular street idler says, to the cheer of his fellow layabouts. As words of praises fly about, critics who're usually quick to condemn Bandele's extravagance now switch sides.

The first VIP arrives at 11 am at which point Molefi observes that the street is taken over by guests, to an extent that moving around is a problem. The only open space is the round-about section allotted to entertainers. Arriving VIPs have to wade through the crowd with police escorts. "Watch out for the rascals." Molefi cautions PartyRobbots staff.

Pius comes forward to meet Molefi, hiding his earlier angst for not being given a role in this festival meant to celebrate his hero, Bandele. "We will die here drinking today!" He greets Molefi who only manages a smile.

To mark the party kick-off, music seizes to play at a quarter to two. Akida steps into the castle's balcony, flinches at the sea of heads before blowing a Vuvuzela for two minutes or so. "Pooo!"

Cheers and praises rent the air, after which the deejay resumes playing music, notching up the volume, opting for hip-hop jams as the area turns into a concert of some sorts.

Enter BayanaPinchers, a strippers group meant to entertain Bandele's inner-room guests. They sashay through the street in synchronous gaits, to the admiration of countless drooling eyes.

Restless Molefi checks the audio-visual screens at the five locations – three on the street, one within the compound and another on the lower floor. Confirming them okay, he prepares for his welcome speech – the first item on the agenda.

Bandele is nowhere in sight because PartyRobbots are keeping him incommunicado, leaving Molefi with the choice of making a phone call to his boss. But the lion is somewhere in the inner room. He showed up earlier to welcome his friends at the lobbyroom which the well-resourced interior décor group transformed into a remarkable party venue. Security into the lobbyroom is water-tight. Only special access cards guarantee entry.