Chapter 14

Returning to Emerald Station after the longest break since Moyo joined the company isn't an event that will just pass by. It was a wedding break after all. He arrives at work to a loud ovation from staff in the offices and those dispensing fuel to customers. The deluge of goodwill greeting his resumption tickles in no small measure.

Entering his manager's office to mark the leave over, Moyo's boss is all smiles. "A hard-working staff must be appreciated, uh." Mr Henry says, handing over an extra-large box.

"Thank you, sir." Moyo receives the package with a tinge of surprise. So this disciplinarian boss can be benevolent and understanding if he chooses.

"You can spend two more days work-free," Mr Henry adds.

Moyo's jaw drops. He then recalls that he hardly took his annual leave in the past. Many years of hard work is now paying off.

The lad walks around the station greeting friends and colleagues who're all happy to welcome him back. "You've lost weight already, but your cheeks are popping." Johnson won't stop teasing. "I understand the importance of the tasks you were busy with anyway." "Welcome back to Emerald."

"Thank you."

Moyo spends the rest of the day catching fun and receiving hard-to-believe monetary donations. Till he leaves the office home, greetings pour in splashes and it continues for the rest of the week.

The first Saturday after his honeymoon is one that Moyo set aside to thank his friends for their support in making his wedding successful. He calls for a meeting at a restaurant which quickly turns out a get-together.

Moyo, arriving last to the gathering, shakes hands with the four guys before taking his seat.

Richard won't stop throwing jibes. "The latest husband in Bulawayo!"

As drinks flow and glasses clang around the table, his mostly bachelor friends repeat that he's lucky to clinch a pretty lady like Sheline. "You deserve a trophy to have caught her young and fresh," Bemba says, tongue in cheek.

"Beautiful or not, you have to spend good money." Moyo nods, smiling. "I must say: it's not easy."

Laughter fills the air.

"Are you complaining already?" Johnson takes a critical look at the lad.

"No, not at all." Moyo raises both hands. "You must spend on something good."

He lifts to his feet. "I thank you guys for being there for me. I really appreciate your support over the years."

They wave off his gratitude. Friends are meant to be there for one another.

"You're next in line," Moyo teases playboy Richard "When will you make a bold move, the one you've been postponing all these years?"

"Well, I'll give it serious thought now that you've shown the way." Richard looks unruffled, unwilling to be rushed into marriage.

"Please make it fast. I regret not being married all these years. The feeling can't be described."

Gbenga heaves a heavy sigh and then giggles. Only a married man understands the feeling Moyo is describing. It's not for hit-and-run experts like Richard.

Richard strokes his goatee. "Married men won't stop praising marriages. The divorced ones will regret their actions." His statement brings about a brief argument during which the lads offer individual opinions on marital issues, as they gulp wines.

The meeting won't drag for long though, unlike in the past. Moyo has other plans. "I must return home now. I've set my phone alarm to 6 pm, by which time I must be home."