Chapter 42

Margaret's kids dance their way back to the flat, rejoicing at the package received from a man they hardly know. The poor kids can't recall the last time anyone offered them packaged gifts. They open it up to find kiddies' stuff which sends them to the stratosphere.

Their joyous moods rub off on Margaret who equally wears a happy face at what is turning out a happy Sunday. For once, she realises how much the kids want a man around them – a father-figure. There's not much an admin officer can do with her meagre salary.

Margaret tears open her wrapped package to bring out the King James and Revised Standard versions of the bible. There's also a third item: a cookbook ideal for a housewife. Margaret wishes the gift will mark the beginning of a steady dalliance with the man, but she won't deceive herself with needless fantasies. She thanks Bandele in absentia, though.

Sheline, who doesn't share the same optimism with her aunt, had walked into her room with furrowed brows, leaving Margaret enough space to think through the likely reasons Bandele is being so kind. For such a wealthy man to overlook last week's snub, mark them out at the church and offer gifts and stuff, he must have a good reason for stooping so low. And the reason isn't hard to tell – Sheline.

Yes, Bandele wants to date her niece. The idea tickles as much as it stinks. Sheline is married and carries her status around like a golden blouse. The young lady will resist his advances and disregard any talk that might affect her marriage. But why did Bandele choose Sheline instead of her, Margaret? She'll gladly welcome the chance to be his mistress without raising a finger. All the same, Sheline's arrival in Soweto is bearing good fruits.

If only Audrey had waited for Sheline to arrive here in Soweto before throwing the pretty girl at some faceless Bulawayo hustler. A golden opportunity like this can change their lives forever.

Obviously, Moyo took advantage of Sheline's youthfulness by bamboozling her with marriage. He can't provide for the girl the way Bandele would. Can he buy her a car and build a mansion befitting a queen?

Even if Moyo re-incarnates ten times, he still won't be able to achieve a quarter of all Bandele currently has. After Sheline gets a degree, she'll be too classy for the poor guy. Her taste would change and her new circle of friends would make her yearn for a better partner. Moyo won't fit into that new circle, so the marriage won't last.

Sheline has been here only a few weeks, a wealthy man is knocking on the door. If she were to spend a year here, politicians and international business moguls will come begging. Better things will happen in this house, for sure. Margaret lifts from the chair and starts pacing around.

What if Sheline breaks up with Moyo? It won't be the first divorce; neither will it be the last. After all, she, Margaret, also broke up with more than three men since she landed in South Africa, never mind the numerous heartbreaks in Harare. A divorce or separation isn't a crime. It's just re-evaluation of emotions – more like reconsideration for the future.

But then, can she convince Sheline to throw away Moyo's wedding ring? The girl is deeply in love judging from the way she locks herself up in the room chatting with him and laughing like some cartoon character. It shows how much she cherishes the poor guy. Asking her to walk away will be suicidal. She must let events unfold naturally instead of influencing the schoolgirl.

Inside the room, Sheline lay on the bed pressing her lips together. Can someone be this generous just for the sake of it? Someone they once snubbed by the roadside? Someone reputed to be a shark in the community but now claiming to be a regular churchgoer?

Why did he choose to share gifts when the church wasn't marking an occasion? For all his wealth he ought to be married with kids. Receiving things from such a man comes with certain expectations. Since she's not yet sure of his intentions, she'll leave his package untouched.