Chapter 31

Just before Bandele's birthday party winds up, tension attains feverish levels amongst the lingering ladies in the lobbyroom. Each of them wants to know if the celebrant will date her or upgrade her status, as the case may be. Competition for the vacant Mrs de Sergeant becomes stiff.

After the exit of the VIPs, ladies in the lower-floor find their way upstairs. Those within the compound step into the sitting-room. And some on the street see nothing wrong in entering the house. Many guests can't leave Polemann. Buses and taxicabs don't operate at odd hours in crime-ridden Soweto.

Security becomes lax because PartyRobbots staff signed off duty at midnight handing over security matters to the castle's watchmen. But how well can the household security staff keep watch over hundreds of guests who are determined to take advantage of the situation? A day like this might never come again.

Bandele retires to the bedroom a few minutes past 2 am, locking himself in with a group of ladies. Some in the lobbyroom bang on the door to gain access to him. "Open up, please." Voices ring out. "Just give me five minutes of your time."

"Just a kiss from you."

"You're my hero for life."

"Can I live here with you?"

The messages come in torrents, mostly influenced by alcohol.

Whenever Bandele tries to leave the bed, ladies pin him down. "Whatever you need, I'll get for you."

The Soweto Lion has three ladies to his right, four to his left, two lounges above his head and another pair to his feet. Around him on the rug are ladies yawning and belching, asking to be led to the guest room if they can't join others on the bed.

Akida, who knows some of them will try to cart away household items, already kept valuables away. But now fatigued, he lay prostate on the floor, his chest and bulgy triceps serving as pillows to three ladies. His colleague, Molefi, slumbers downstairs in the company of a lady. Pono is out of sight.

"Bang! Bang!!"

Sunday morning, loud noise pierces the stillness of the break of day, as guests get up around 9 am, each asking to see Bandele, some banging on his bedroom door. They won't leave unless Bandele settles them, having run out of cash hiring Uber to the castle, hoping the celebrant will replenish their purses. None foresaw this deluge of female species lining at the door.

The disturbance awakens Akida who tears off the cobweb of hands restraining him from doing his job. He opens the door slightly and announces: "Party is over. You all should go home."

Not even his husky morning voice or glowered looks chase the desperate ladies away. Many of them push the door open. "We need money to return home. We come from far places."

Akida's muscles come to his aid. "Go home now!" He bangs the door close, getting the celebrant rolling on the bed. "Molefi!" Bandele calls out but soon resumes snoozing.

Three people rush to the bathroom to throw up or answer the call of nature. A few with clearer eyes dress up, ready to leave, but Akida won't open up. Bandele's bedroom becomes a market place of some sorts.

As the early morning squabble reaches a crescendo in an otherwise quiet mansion, Molefi picks up his phone and calls PartyRobbots staff to enforce order.

"Hello."

"Yes, Mister Shabangu"

"Can you please control the ladies up there? The noise is too much."

"We're no longer at your mansion."

"What?"

"Our contract ended at midnight."