Chapter 46

Bandele skips church this weekend that Sheline is out of town. His absence on Princewill Street cements residents' suspicion that Sheline is the reason Bandele has suddenly become a deacon. The usual Sunday queue of onlookers disperses quickly. Reality dawns on Margaret that Sheline accounts for her newfound respect. She always knew so anyway.

Margaret drops to the chair to reflect on the situation. These are indeed interesting times. For years no one associated with her on this street. She was a person of little or no value – a foreigner who's here to sap their resources and return home with the loot.

The arrival of a twenty-year-old changes the narrative. Residents now wave both hands at her. Those who didn't consider her a worthy friend stretch necks to exchange pleasantries. "How are you today, Margaret?" They'll greet in their numbers with musical tones, even peep through windows. Her next-door neighbour now has reasons to ask for pressing iron and table salt.

Besides the deluge of greetings, a visit to the hair-salon comes with perks. "Madam, you've not come here for a long time." The stylist said a few hours back. "And where is your beautiful sister?"

"Oh, Sheline. She's fine."

"Greet her for me, please. I like her gentle manners."

"Okay."

They're surprised that Bandele chose Sheline, of all the eligible ladies in the area. Margaret begins to see her niece in a new light. That girl is a star. She must always be around.

Sheline's return to Soweto is like that of a hero just back from a long journey. Margaret flashes an infectious smile on throwing the door open. "Ha! My own Sheline is here." She swings both hands forward for a hug, upon which she urges her children to come forward. "Come and greet auntie."

Sheline steps in, drops her bag in a corner and sinks into a chair. She glances around to re-evaluate the anxiety greeting her return. Not even after her first trip here did Margaret show this level of warmth.

"How's my sister?" Margaret says, returning from the kitchen with a jug of orange juice and a glass-cup, placing them on the stool beside Sheline. "I trust she's doing well?"

"Mama is fine. She sends her greetings."

"I hope she's coping well by herself because you'll be here for three full years."

"She's not complaining. There's a maid in the house to help her around."

Observing the young lady's glowing façade, a pointer to the nice time the girl had back home, Margaret feels like asking about Moyo, but she changes her mind. That loser doesn't deserve a mention where Bandele prowls.

Weary Sheline searches her bag and hands overs a packaged perfume to Margaret. "Gifts from Mama."

"Oh, how sweet of her." She tears open the pack and sniffs it. The kids also receive biscuits and candies.

"My husband said I should give you this." Sheline presents a wrapped wall clock which Margaret receives saying: "Okaaay." Taken aback by the gesture, she drops the clock and sniffs the perfume for a second time, apparently questioning the rationale behind Moyo's token. Can anything valuable come from a Bulawayo hustler?

Sheline overlooks Margaret's slight on her husband, ascribing it to the fact that the two have yet to meet. Margaret's opinion about him will change when that happens. She takes her bag to the room to unpack them, ready to make up for the missed lectures at school.

For three days, Margaret keeps close watch over Sheline, figuring out if the young lady has personal issues resulting from her Bulawayo trip. Having been cuddled by her husband, Sheline won't be keen to discuss Bandele. In due course, Soweto issues will resurface.

Thinking of attending church on Sunday while watching plates in the kitchen this Friday, Sheline feels like discussing Bandele but holds back from doing so.

Margaret, who's preparing dinner on the hotplate, says at last: "Do you think we should encourage Bandele to bring us home after Sunday service?"

"Uh? Aunty." She places both hands under the tap. "Why are you asking?"

"Just asking, nje."

"Did he pick you from church last Sunday?"

"Oh, yes." Margaret lies, reluctant to give the young lady undue credit.

This is a no brainer. It's the same issue Sheline spent long hours thinking over in the bus that brought her from Bulawayo. The ease associating with Bandele brings isn't one they can wish away for now. "We're used to him already. We don't have to go back to those days when we waited for taxis under the hot sun."

Margaret grins. "I just wanted to know your view. Bandele has been nice to us."

"Yes, he's God-sent."

That settles Margaret's curiosity. Sheline's monthly Bulawayo trips won't affect her affair with Bandele who should take it further soon.