Chapter 49

Saturday morning at a quarter to nine, Sheline puts on a sleeveless lilac gown – one of those Bandele gave thumbs up at the clothing store. Her six-inch stiletto heightens her elegance giving her the swag of a Mediterranean princess. Despite being indoors, her stylish Afro hairstyle glitters.

"You want to show him you're a princess, uh?" Margaret says, watching Sheline strut around.

"Auntie, what can I do? He must see that the clothes suit me."

"Uh." Margaret smiles at the click-clack of her shoes. While Sheline tries to strike the perfect look, the woman thinks her niece is still learning the ropes. "Why don't you use a lip gloss that matches the colour of your dress?"

"Oh, okay."

Few minutes past noon, Sheline steps out of the house with good luck wishes from Margaret. The journalism student lingers by the roadside awaiting the driver Bandele promised to send. Molefi had earlier called to confirm the vehicle's arrival time.

Residents peep through their windows, some stepping out to see the reserved-girl turned fashionista. The situation makes her uncomfortable but she has to live with these permanent onlookers who daily measure her strides.

The harmless ones throw friendly smiles, waving both hands. Others hurl hate looks to show their displeasures. Since she has no friend on Princewill, it's safe to shun them all. Soon, whistling fill the airwaves. And just when it reaches a crescendo, Bandele's driver cruises into view. It's the same Range Rover SUV she has come to love.

Akida, seated in the left corner of the rear- passenger seat, opens up for Sheline to step in. "Come in, our madam," he says with a smile.

Sheline climbs in, scrutinizing faces to be sure she'd met them before – a fall out of the discomfiting whistles. Well, no harm in riding with these guys. The SUV is familiar and Molefi had earlier called.

Immediately they arrive at the castle, Akida takes Sheline through the open lower-floor door straight to the lobbyroom where Bandele awaits her. "Ha-ha." The lion roars in delight and then lifts to his feet, stretching out both hands. "Sheline!"

Sheline hugs him warmly, during which Akida returns to the lower-floor.

"Welcome to my Polemann Castle." Bandele reassesses his guest. "You look nice."

"Thank you, Mister Lion."

He grins at the compliment, urging her to take a seat.

The young lady drops to the chair slowly, dropping her handbag nearby. She can't seem to take her eyes off the wall-décor, electronic stand and yellow feet-hugging rugs. Her stiletto which sang Lucky Dube while she strutted at home can barely cough here in the castle. Actually, she got awed the moment the driver dropped her at the garage where she glimpsed cars she only saw on TV.

Yes, she always knew he's wealthy, but not to this astounding degree.

Right there, ideas jostle for attention in Sheline's head about the nature of his business. They said he's into properties – that he controls many apartment buildings on Polemann and elsewhere. Though the gist sounded incredulous when she first heard it, she now believes.

Bandele maintains a steady gaze on her pretty face while she savours the opulence on display.

She turns to him in shock: despite this stupendous wealth, he picks up a first-year UJ student from the church, drive her around and take her to the cinema. She now understands why people wave at him around Soweto – such humility from a millionaire.

Pono, who had earlier filled up the fridge with special-occasion wines, lunges into the lobbyroom to serve Bandele drink. Normally he serves whiskey or champagne – Bandele's preference when a lady visits. But Sheline doesn't look the type for such drinks, and the boss has been bending the rules since the two met.