Chapter 14

Just a quick warning: there is a small discussion about physical abuse in this chapter, so if that's something that you find sensitive, please use your own judgment before reading.

Also a little disclaimer: I have never experienced physical abuse or an abusive relationship like discussed in this chapter/ story, so I'm basically taking a shot in the dark with writing this. I don't know all the facts and things, so I'm just making them up as I go to develop my characters completely out of my imagination. Please keep that in mind if you come across something you don't think is accurate, it's just a fictional story and I want you all to enjoy it!

Thank you for reading, and also check out the author's note at the end if you wanna know why updates have been slow. Enjoy! Xx

Madison's POV

"Who's Landon?"

When his name slipped passed Mr. Styles lips, my body froze. The deepest feeling of dread washed over me as my heart rate accelerated in my chest, my fingers entwining on my lap. I sucked in a harsh breath of air and averted my eyes away from him and down to my lap, unable to handle his intense stare. I couldn't tolerate it.

Mr. Styles cleared his throat after a moment, shifting in his seat. "Madison, are you alright?"

Peering up at him through my lashes, I forced a small nod. "Yes," I squeaked out quietly. The crack in my voice surprised even me, and my hand shot up to conceal my mouth with the ends of my fingers. Harry squinted his eyes in concern.

"Do you want to tell me who Landon is?" He asked again, gauging my reaction.

With a shaky breath, I shook my head slowly, turning my gaze away again. I focused out the window behind him. "No," I admitted. Finally, I connected my stare back onto his and let a soft sigh escape me. "But I will."

I needed to swallow my fear and get this over with. That's what I was here for, and he knew that. I couldn't think that he was going to judge me because I knew he wasn't going to. I was kidding myself.

"Take your time," Harry told me softly, leaning back in his chair. I nodded, tearing my gaze away once more when his tongue darted out to wet his lips.

I can't be distracted by him. What is wrong with me?

Clearing my throat, I inhaled and focused back onto Harry and what I was about to say. But before I could speak, he spoke up again.

"And please don't worry, Madison. I'm here to listen."

I reconnected our eyes and smiled softly at his assurance with another small nod. Biting my lip for a quick second out of nervousness, I gave myself a quick pep-talk in my head before forcing myself to just spit it out. It's not like he wasn't already expecting what the answer was anyway.

"Landon is my ex-boyfriend," I admitted, observing Mr. Styles to catch his reaction. I saw his jaw pulse the same way it had when he was reading over my notes, and he nodded shortly at my reveal.

"I'm guessing based on what you've written down that your relationship with him wasn't very good?" He takes another glance at the book before casting his eyes directly on mine again, watching me intently. His expression seemed almost stern now, like he was focused-- paying attention, and maybe not the happiest. I felt my heart in my throat.

"No, it wasn't." I shook my head, my voice coming out rather quiet. My nerves weren't settling at all, in fact, they were skyrocketing.

I shut my eyes for a moment, needing to take a short little breath to collect myself. Mr. Styles stayed silent as he waited for me to do so, being patient with me, which I was grateful for. When I reopened them and looked at him again, I noticed his eyebrows had furrowed deeply.