Chapter 1

Thanks for reading, enjoy xx

Madison's POV

I hear the front door softly close as I walk to the entrance way. I turn the corner and see my best friend, Carly Kennedy, quietly removing her shoes and placing them on the mat beside the door. She looks up when she hears me clear my throat and she puts on an innocent face and smiles sweetly.

"Where have you been? We were supposed to get coffee this morning and when I got up, you weren't here." I ask her angrily and make my way to the kitchen, her following close behind.

"I'm sorry, Maddy. I woke up before you and I didn't want to wake you up. I was bored sitting here all by myself while you were sleeping, I went and got coffee alone." She apologizes and takes a seat on one of the stools in front of the counter.

I roll my eyes to myself, making sure my back stays turned from her so she doesn't see my rude gesture. "Okay, tell me where you really were." I demand as nicely as possible, trying to contain my slight annoyance.

"I just told you, I went ahead and got coffee." She lies for the second time and I turn around with a hot cup of my own coffee in my hand.

"No you didn't." I shake my head and take a sip of my steaming hot drink. "If you did, you would have brought me back one. Plus, you wouldn't have sat in the café by yourself long enough to finish the whole thing. I know you, Carly."

I have known Carly since the first day of grade nine, and we have been best friends since. She was the first person I met freshman year and we stuck by each other's sides like glue. I know that she is too paranoid to ever sit down somewhere for a long period of time alone. She hates being in social places by herself because she feels like people look at her like she has no friends, she had stated that fact numerous times when I have turned her down for dinner trips or parties. She gets bored easily so sitting in a crowded café alone isn't something she would be interested in doing.

"Okay, fine. I didn't go get coffee, but I can't tell you where I was." She sighs. I raise an eyebrow and lean across the opposite side of the counter.

"Why not?" I push. I know that if I bother her about it enough, she will cave, she always does.

"Because I don't think it's a good time to tell you anything yet, I shouldn't have even mentioned that." She shuts her eyes momentarily before opening them up and sighing, scolding herself for giving out the little bit of information. Really, she said nothing that could possibly help me figure out where she was, but she did say enough to let me know that it's something important.

"What are you hiding?" I ask and narrow my eyes in her direction, showing her that I am definitely not going to drop the subject until she tells me what it is she was doing.

Normally, I would let it go, tell myself its really none of my business what she does. But for some reason, I can tell this is more important than she is trying to lead on, and I can tell that I'm going to need to be involved at some point. This has been going on for a few weeks now, her leaving and acting so secretive when she returns. She pops in and out so suddenly that I never know what is going on.

"It really doesn't matter right now, Madison. Let's just let it go for now." She tries to dismiss the conversation but I'm not having it. I know it must be serious, as she never calls me by my full first name anymore; we got past that stage the first week of high school. She never calls me Madison unless it's a serious matter or she is mad. Maybe right now it's a mix of both.

"Oh, Madison. Now I know this is bothering you. Since when did you start calling me Madison again?" I ask rhetorically and roll my eyes; she is making it so awfully obvious that this situation isn't just something I shouldn't worry about.