Chapter 15

Happy New Years! I hope you all had a great New Year's Eve and a very Merry Christmas if you celebrate. If you don't celebrate, I hope you still had a fantastic holiday season!

I am so very sorry for the wait. If you wish to know my reason, read the note at the end. You should do so if you'd like a little more info on upcoming updates. Again, I apologize, and I would like to thank you for being so patient with me if you've stuck around! ALSO, thank you guys for over 100 votes!!

And omg you guys, guess what I realized while writing this chapter😂 At the beginning of the story, Landon's name was actually Layton and somehow I managed to change it😂 omg I laughed at myself, but his name is officially Landon, so if you remember seeing Layton at the beginning and got confused, that's why. I'm sorry lol

Also, I got early acceptance to a few universities so far! I'm very excited, but also nervous for September.

Anyway, once again I apologize for the wait, and I hope you enjoy the chapter! (Sorry for the long note, also)

*Not edited*

Madison's POV

The shock that consumed me as Mr. Styles' lips laid softly against my own kept me pinned against the door, unable to move. My eyes remained opened wide, only fluttering closed for a brief couple of seconds after coming to terms with what was happening. By the time it had registered in my brain, however, he was quickly disconnecting himself from me, putting an end to the sweet bliss I felt for only a short moment before reality came barreling at us.

"Mr. Styles-- Harry..." I stuttered softly, the nervousness and surprise I was feeling wavering in my voice. Suddenly things between us grew far more awkward than ever before, and as he stood there staring at me with his hand tugging at the roots of his hair, seeming to be more shocked in himself than I was, I wasn't sure what to do.

"I-um," He cleared his throat quickly, averting his gaze from mine. "I apologize, Miss Adams, I don't know what I was thinking," he explained, cautiously meeting my eyes once more.

Miss Adams. For some reason, him addressing me so formally after such an incident just occurred felt like a blow to the chest. I liked it better when he called me Madison, which had become a habit of his, and I hoped what just went on between us wouldn't change that.

My breathing was unsteady and I swear I could feel a bead of sweat form on my forehead under the hot intensity of his stare as I managed to murmur, "It's... it's okay."

"No, it isn't okay. I have overstepped my boundaries, which is very unprofessional of me and it certainly will not happen again." The stern tone in his words took me aback, my eyebrows furrowing slightly as I disconnected eye contact again. I swore I would never be able to confidently stand my ground around this man-- he effected me far too much in ways I didn't quite understand, simply because he wasn't supposed to. After what just happened, though, maybe he was feeling in a similar sense.

My heart felt like it was constricting ever so slightly in my chest as I thought of what to say. Even though I knew he was completely correct, it could, in fact, never happen again, it seemed surprisingly hard to accept. Not so much because I wanted it to happen again, though I was quite sure that I did, but because the tone of his voice had been so cold just then. So distant and demanding, as if I had been the one to make the mistake.

I cleared my throat after a moment when I noticed that he had been staring at me intently with an eyebrow raised. Clearly he was wondering what the hell I was thinking about, and he didn't seem too pleased that I still stood there frozen, seemingly ignoring his statement. "No.. I-I understand," I stuttered softly, peering up at him through my lashes. I noticed his features soften briefly before he quickly composed himself and awkwardly wiped the palms of his hands against his suit pants.