Chapter 20

Nalini's P.O.V

After about two hours of tea, biscuits and chatter, me and my family get up.

"Well I guess you have to go back now?"

"Yes, I hope you continue to do well and behave well Nalini."

I nod at my father with a slight frown on my face while his facial expression seems to be blank. Not surprised really.

"Bye Jason, I actually do hope you do well on your exams. I'm sure you will!"

"Thanks Nalini and by the way mum is going to stay with you."

My eyes immediately widen and my heart pounds in excitement.

"Really?!- Uh.. I mean really?"

My mother gives me a silent look of 'don't be too happy in front of your father or you'll regret it look.'

My father rolls his eyes and goes opening the front door leaving with a frown. I sigh as does my brother and my mum.

I rush over to my mum and hug her tightly as well as giving her a kiss on the cheek. Then pat Jason's back maybe a little too hard making him grunt in pain while I laughed.

"Well I'm probably going to get yelled at by our father if I don't hurry up and leave so bye."

I wave goodbye to Jason while he hugs mum and then leaves shutting the door behind him. I look at my mum who silently looks at the ground with watering eyes.

"Umma? Are-are you okay? What happened? You can tell me.."

She looks at me with her wonderful caring eyes filled with sadness and pain.

"Nalini..I'm going to stay with you for a few days before leaving back to look after Jason okay?"

"Y-yeah..but are you okay-"

"No Nalini, you know how it is with your father and me. We had another fight and I think we need some time apart so here I am. I'm sorry for intruding in your rest period."

My eyes water for her as I hug her again and she just bursts out crying on my shoulder.

"It's okay ma. I'm your daughter I'll always no matter what, be here for you. You're not intruding at all. I'll always look and care for you just like you have for me."

"T-thank you Nalini."

Afterwards, we clean up all the tea cups and plates and wash them up while chatting and me slightly getting nagged at for not washing the plates properly. Oh Indian mothers.

An hour later...

I put on a TV show that I know my mum loves to watch and I go to eat some dinner then join her afterwards.

Suddenly I hear the clatter of keys and the door opening. Rohan.

"Go Nalini! Go greet him don't worry about me!"

I sigh grumpily. If only you knew mother, if only you knew. Getting up, I walk towards the door and see him entering and he looks at me rolling his eyes.

Um. Okay fine be like that. I don't know what I did but sure.

"Are your family gone?"

"Not really. My mother is staying with us for awhile."

His eyes widen and his mouth first pulls into a frown before then into gritting his teeth in anger. Rohan immediately grabs my wrist and drags me close towards him.