Not Alot to the Dead

Chapter 2: A Year is Not A Lot to the Dead

Natsu's head hung low over the bar. He was especially know not to be messed with on that day. Not by anyone. Not Erza, Gray, Lissana, Wendy, or Master. Not even Happy. This was Natus's shady week. And on that particular day was an awful day to get on his nerves.

It was Lucy's birthday.

It had been and year and a half since she had died and still no one could even breath her name unless they wanted to feel the wrath of Natsu.

Her funeral was especially hard. It was the day after the got back, it didn't take long to organize. Afterall, she had nothing other than Fairy Tail. Not even a body to bury. Her grave was like all the other Fairy Tail graves, obsidian black with the Fairy Tail carved into it, but Lucy wasn't there. Her body had just disappeared. She had two graves. One in Fairy tail, one next to her parents far away.

The guild wasn't exactly the same without Lucy. After the four friends brought back news, they felt the lost a strong base on their pyramid.

Natsu was crabbier more, but less outgoing in fights, like he was timid. But the truth was, he was just being extra cautious. He wanted to live up to his promise of Lucy. He believed that if he stayed alive, then she could live through him.

Gray wasn't the same either. Neither was Erza. After finding out Lucy had spent her magical energy just trying to do something nice and pull Erza's luggage, her load had lightened incredibly. They still needed a wagon, and it hardly looked diffent, but Erza never let anyone else try to carry it.

Wendy had been studying variously on how to help Magic Energy. Despite knowing almost everything to know, she couldn't find any healing spells that restored it. She thought that if she could find a spell, she could somehow gather all Lucy's energy and bring her back.

Levy was as broken as Natsu. She cried just as often. But since she wasn't actually there on the mission, she didn't feel the same pain of the others.

Lisanna cried, too. She felt as if she was gaining a new bestfriend, someone to trust, and suddenly she was swiped away. She wondered if she had caused that much pain when everyone thought she had died.

But still, no one was more effected than Natsu. They thought it had turned him mad. He told them that how she disappeared was similar to Lisanna's and that Lucy couldd come back, too. Lisanna didn't want to tell him that it was impossible to return to Edolas anymore.

So on the dark night of Lucy Heartfilla's birthday, no one bothered Natsu. Candles lined the bar as he watched the guild. He couldn't help but think about Lucy. He missed her smile, her laugh. How she had given her all to save him. Natsu smacked his mug down. If only he hadn't been so damn hungry all the time! Then he could have gone with her, protected her.

"This is Lisanna's death all over again," he whispered to himself, except, this time there were no miricals, no extra worlds to save them. A single tear slid down his cheek. Mirajane noticed. She pulled out a tissue. She handed it to Natsu. He looked at her and took it, wiping his eyes.

"I know it's hard." She said in her soft voice. "When Lisanna had disappeared, I felt awful. Like maybe I should have stopped the monster before Elfman absorbed it. I felt like a horrible excuse of a wizard, much less S-Class." He looked at her. He thought maybe she was the only one who had understand.

"But don't do what I did, Natsu."

"Huh?" He asked.

"I rolled in self-pity and lost everything. She looks so guilty and and it makes me feel ashamed. Grow stronger for her, Natsu. She loved you, just as she loved everyone. Just keep being strong." He smiled at her, grateful.