Chapter 11: Campfire

We hike for a long while and well into the night until we stop at a clearing for a break, the first one in hours. I sit down on a nearby log and rest my head in my hands, trying to keep myself awake, also lost in thought about my vision. The identical voices, along with all of the dead Jedi, none of it made any sense to me. I lower my hands and look at the other padawans and the clones, all either lost in quiet, whispered conversation, or trying to sleep before we had to move again in a few minutes. I look down at one of my twin lightsabers and unclip it from my belt and focus on the force, trying to steady the blade stabilizer, as it was slightly destabilized from my battle with Laris, but I had just recently noticed it. I feel it stabilize and move my hand so the lightsaber closes and falls back into my hand. I look at it, lost in thought. A sound jolts me out of my train of thought and I look up to see Dylsavi walking over to me.

"Hey, are you okay? You're being really quiet." He says, concern in his voice as he sits down.

"Yeah...." I say quietly, taking a deep breath before meeting his gaze.

"What is it?" He says and looks at me, his brown eyes gazing into mine. Somehow, I felt at peace, like I could talk to him...like I could tell him everything.

"I just feel so lost, confused, and honestly I'm a little scared." I say quietly, fighting with the pendant around my neck.

"Elidani, can you tell me why?" He asks, concern in his voice. I take a deep breath and bite my lip.

"Okay, but you have to promise not to tell anyone....please" I say and look up at him.

"Of course Elidani. I won't tell anybody I promise." he says and moves a strand of hair that had fallen in front of my face behind my ear. I look up at him and give a small nod.

"Dylsavi, I have been having this vision, over and over again. Hundreds of Jedi are killed and somehow it involves Padawan Skywalker. The only thing is...there are many voices, all individual and yet they sound the same. It's why I've been so quiet today. I don't know what to think about all this, with the clones and all." I say quietly, and he nods in understanding.

"I don't really know what to make of it. I know you're not making this up, but I can sense something about it, I just can't decipher what it means" he says, running his hands through his hair.

"It scares me Dylsavi. What if it comes true? I would lose everyone, if not my own life..." I say, fighting back tears. "I don't know what I would do..."

"Elidani, you would press on. I know you would. You would find some way to survive, I know it." He says, wrapping a reassuring arm around my shoulders.

"And if I don't?" I ask quietly, looking up at him.

Dylsavi opens him mouth to respond, but is cut off by stripe walking up to us. We stand up and he salutes.

"At ease soldier." I say and he relaxes.

"Sorry to interrupt commanders, but it has been decided that we will camp here for the night." He says and I nod.

"Thank you for informing us stripe." Dylsavi says "Now, go get some rest, you'll need it in the morning." He says and the trooper nods and turns around, walking back to the camp. Dylsavi then looks at me. "I'll handle first watch. You go rest." He says gently to me and I look up at him. "I can handle it. I'm not very tired and I had an extra stim-caf this morning"

// for anyone confused, a stim-caf is a caffeinated drink in the Star Wars universe.

"Are you sure?" He says and I nod.

"Of course, Dylsavi. I'll wake you up when it's time for second watch." I say and he nods, gratefulness in his eyes.

"Thank you Elidani. Just remember to wake me." He says and I nod

"I will" I say quietly and turn to face the woods. He goes over to the warm, newly built fire and lays his sleeping mat out before laying down and falling asleep. I smile a little and look around at the woods, keeping a vigilant watch. I shiver slightly, as the temperature had started to drop significantly in the past hour. I pull my warm cloak out of my pack and wrap it around me. Over the next few hours, the temperature continues to fall at a rapid pace. I am starting to feel very tired and the temperature has dropped well into the freezing range when I hear a sound behind me. I flip around, activating one of my sabers, only to see that it is Dylsavi getting up and I immediately deactivate it. He walks over and sits down next to me. He wraps his cloak close around him and I give him a tired smile.

"Elidani, you should go get some rest. I'll keep watch until the next shift, which Stripe is handling until dawn. You need to sleep." He says gently and I shake my head.

"I can keep going for a little while longer, it's okay, you can go back to sleep." I say quietly and cover my mouth slightly as I let out a small yawn. He shakes his head.

"No. Elidani, you need sleep. I can keep watch and you look the most exhausted that I have ever seen you." He says

"How can you tell?" I say and look up at him

"One, you are more jumpy than a Shaak that has been bitten by a snake. Two, you look half awake if that." He says chuckling a little. I smile a little and give a small, submissive nod.

"Okay, I'll go." I say quietly, and he smiles a little.

"Just relax, I've got everything under my control. Just sleep." He says gently as I set out my mat and lay down.

"Okay Okay, I'll do it." I say quietly and fall asleep gently, basking in the warm glow of the fire.

I sleep for a few hours before I am jolted awake from the sound of blaster crossfire.

"We're under attack!"

// hey guys, thank you so much for reading my book! Send any cover ideas to princessemmy1217wattpad@gmail.com!

I would like to give a special shoutout to  for making the current book cover! :)