Chapter 3: A story to remember

"She's been out 23 days now."

"Cracked her ribs,  broke her arm, covered in deep cuts and bruises."

"I don't know how she lived, it's a miracle."

Valarie stirred in a comfy, crisp bed before opening her eyes. Everything was so bright around her, she looked around her to see Professor Dumbledore And Madame Pomfrey from across the clean room.

"Wh.. Where am i?" Mumbled Valarie, which startled Dumbledore and Madame Pomfrey, as they carefully approached her, as Valerie slowley rose sat up against the pillows behind her.

"Gentle, gentle, darling. You don't want to strain yourself, you suffured quite the fall." Reassured Madame Pomfrey as she poured a small vile of drink as she passed it to Valerie, encouraging her to drink it.

"Hyperthermia too." Said dumbledore, in his usually kind, quiet voice. "You're very lucky to be alive Miss Clarkson, You have been in this hospital wing short of a month, we can assure you, you will be fine, however you must be very easy on yourself for a while. You had many students worried, they brought you all sort of gives." He continued, as he gestured toward mountains of treats and presents, this filled Valerie with such joy knowing she had real friends who cared for her. "Now if you excuse me, i shall inform the teachers of your well-being, and i will be pleased to see you attend dinner tonight." He finished as he strolled out the hospital wing, leaving Valerie with Madame Pomfrey, the silence made Valerie feel awkward, untill Madame Pomfrey said something that surprised Valerie entirely.

"You know dear, you had many visiters, everyone was very worried. Especially a young man, i know him as Draco Malfoy, although he signed all your gifts as 'Mousey'. He came very late at night, when all your visiters had gone, and made me promise him that no one were to know. He replaced the jumper you were wearing that night, he also took care of Mittens, your cat, whilst you were out. You must be very fond of eachother, he was oh so worried."

Valerie sat there in shock, Draco, caring about her? That can't be right. But as she picked up the new jumper she saw the words 'Hope you dont add more bruises, Mousey.' Valerie felt a sense of butterflies fill her stomach, this was so kind of Draco, and so unlike him, was it a prank? Or did Draco actually care about her well-being? Valerie went through the plenty of presents and cards from Ron, Harry, Hermione, Mason, Zara and people she didn't even know of, that they had kindly left her. Before getting changed into her robes for dinner, once she was ready she knew she was slightly late. But hopefully no one will be angry about it.

As she walked towards the grand hall, with Pomfrey at her side untill she reached the doors, as she wanted to ensure Valarie was well enough to handle herself. Madame Pomfrey was very kind, but very paranoid about her patients. As Pomfrey opened the large doors and helped Valarie in. Everybody went silent.

"Oh my Merlin, Valarie!" Called Zara, before running down the hall slamming Valarie into a hug, the hall turned into a sea of applause followed by almost the entirety of the school running to her and welcoming her back. Including a couple of Slytherins. Including Draco. Valerie turned to him and said quietly "Thanks for the jumper, Mousey. See you in potions." Just loud enough for Draco to hear of the loud chatter, to which he responded "Glad to see no more face bruises." Before smiling slightly and walking back to his table. Once everyone had settled back down, all the food appeared onto the tables, before Zara turning to Valerie and saying "Well, thats a story to remember, and we've only almost finished our first year!"