Chapter 8: Romance and Riddles

Once the train arrived at school, everybody boarded the carriages that led to the school, Valerie's butterflies fluttered faster and faster in her stomach, she knew she was going to see Draco at dinner, but what if he had told everyone? And they all laughed at her? Valerie tried to not panic too much, she always had anxiety, especially as she grew up. Valerie leaned back against Mason in the carriage which also had Hermione, Zara, Ron and Harry in, and she closed her eyes untill they arrived at school. Rumour had it that a lot of boys fancied Valerie, including her very own best friends Harry and Mason, Valerie always assumed they were school-boy crushes and nothing more, so she never made a big deal out of it, or any boy who apparently 'fancied her'.

As the carriages came to a stop, everyone started to make their way into the dinner hall to watch the sorting. Valerie saw no sign of Draco or any Slytherins, so she could only assume that they had already taken their seats. Zara, Mason and Valerie were amongst the last people to enter the Hall, Valerie walked with her head down as much as possible, hoping that maybe no one would notice her. However, as she made her way down the hall, no one laughed or made any comments. Valerie felt a huge sigh of relief, this meant that Draco wasn't making fun of their kiss. Valerie could only hope that maybe he enjoyed it himself.

As dinner went by, everything seemed normal, the Sorting Hat ceremony seemed to have lasted forever, but the feast was delicious as usual, everyone was happy and cheery, despite everyone having the dementor issue on the back of their minds, the Gryffindors seemed quite excited about the new Defence Against The Dark Arts teacher though, Valerie however, wasn't too fussed. Eventually everybody cleared out of the dining hall, Valerie decided to stay behind to the end, she got caught up reading 'The Daily Prophet' And its article on Sirius Black, it was rather interesting, but after awhile she decided to head back  to the common room, as she was walking the empty corridors, Valerie soon realized it was much later than she thought it was 8pm. She reached the common room door and solved the riddle to get in almost imediatley, it read:

Poor people have it, Rich people need it. If you eat it you die

What is it?

Valerie responed "Nothing." And as the door began to open...

"Impressive, you really are quiet the riddle solver Bruisey." Said a familiar voice as he approached Valerie from behind.

"Draco? What are you doing here?" Said Valerie with caution, she didn't have time to feel nervous about seeing him, she didn't expect to bump into him before potions the next day.

"I came to see you, obviously. Look, about earlier" Draco started to explain, Valerie's heart started to beat so hard she thought it would fall out of her chest, she was preparing herself to be mugged off, and to be told that it was a mistake and that Draco would never fancy her like that. But instead... She was met with another kiss before Draco could finish his sentence, he pulled Valerie in quickly and passionately before pulling away with a grin on his face.

"I just wanted to finish what you started, Bruisey." Draco said quietly, as he walked off into the shadows. Something about him was so magnetic, Valerie didn't know what this meant for their friendship, she always assumed he was a slight player, was she just another girl to him? was that a one time thing? She had no clue. But what she did know was that she needed to go to sleep, as she would have a busy day tomorrow.