32.

Chapter Thirty Two: " "

"No but seriously." Chris exhaled as the rain poured down on his head. I watched as his eyebrows furrowed. At least the rain covered the fact I was crying. "What's wrong?"

"Like you care." I scoffed, sniffling both from the fact that it was cold and I was crying.

"Believe it or not but I have a heart." Chris chuckled, not coldly, but in the way you do when you are trying to lighten the mood.

"I am going to go ahead and not believe you." I roll my eyes but smiled anyway.

"No but seriously, If I was crying in the middle of a bad part of town with chocolate all over my face I'd want someone to tell me to snap out of it too. Or at least try to lighten up my mood." Chris let out a deep sigh, shoving his hands into his pockets.

"Do I actually have chocolate on my face?" I asked, mortified.

"Yeah, you should probably like, wipe it off." He encouraged me in which I did.

"Better?" I asked him.

"Better." Chris confirmed, giving me a thumbs up. "You should seriously get out of here." Chris added in a serious tone. "It's not safe. Especially at night."

"Then why are you here?" I cocked an eyebrow at him.

"Touché."

"But still Chris, why does it matter to you?" I pursed my lips.

"I thought I told yo-" He began but I cut him off.

"You never cared when you hurt me." I glared.

Shoot me, I'm a mood killer, I know.

"It doesn't mean I don't value your life Ashely." He let out a sigh, his tone shifting from a casual one to a defeated one. "Yeah, I hurt you but, I've know you since we were kids and if you died I would actually be pretty sad."

"Well yeah, I guess if you died I'd be sad too." I admit truthfully. "I'd miss the bad puns you make all the time. And how you try to act cool but fail miserably and look like a total tool."

"Shush." Chris chuckled. "But, do you need a ride home or something because seriously, this neighborhood is no place for you."

"I guess I could use a ride." I told him.

"Okay, hop in." He said, opening the shotgun door to a red car parked directly next to us. I obliged and slid into the car as he walked to drivers side and hopped in.

This was going to be a long ride.

-

"Well, do you want to talk about what happened?" Chris said, breaking the white noise of the rain flooding down on his car as we drove.

"I could but, I don't want to." I told him truthfully.

"Well that's fair." He mumbles, keeping his eyes on the rode while I watched the windshield wipers do their thing.

"I just don't want to relive it." I shook the memory out of my head.

"It's fine." Chris replied. "I don't want you to start crying or anything either."

"Thanks Chris." I whispered to him.

"Anytime." He smiled over at me as we finally arrived at my house. I so did not want to go home. I look insane.

"Bye Chris." I wave him off as I exit the car and enter my house, still wet from the rain.

When I enter the kitchen in my house I see my mom sitting in a chair with her eyes glued to her phone.