Kill The Lights {6}

“Are you sure you don’t want to stay for a few more days?” Carol asked as I pulled my shoes on.

                “I’ll be back before you know it,” I assured her. And she knew it was true. I’d be back within a day or two, and I wouldn’t leave for another week or so.

                “Alright. Bye Jace,” she said with a smile.

                “Bye Carol. See you Shane,” I said.

                “Man, are you sure you don’t want a ride home?” Shane asked.

                “Positive. I need to walk off the steak and cookies,” I said, popping my earphones in. “Where’s Mitch?”

                “He disappeared early this morning,” Carol said. It was early afternoon. “I have no idea where that boy goes.”

                I shrugged, despite the disappointment I felt. I wanted to say bye to Mitch. Then again, I guess I was used to him disappearing all the time.

                I gave a short wave and left their house. I turned my music up as I started to walk home. I tried to push thoughts of Mitch out of mind as I walked.

                “I’m a master of construction because I’m building walls like it’s my occupation. If you portray a liar, I’ll shut you out without hesitation,” I mumbled along with my music.

                After a while, my house came into view. I pushed the door open and let myself in. I could hear the TV from upstairs.

                “Mom,” I called, walking up the stairs.

                “Jace!” mom said in surprise, leaping off of the couch. “What are you doing here?”

                More guilt struck me. I was away so much that she actually got surprised when I came home. God, I was a shitty son.

                “Uh…I told you I was coming home. Kicking your ass in Phase 10, remember?” I said, trying to joke with her.

                Her eyes widened. “Wait a minute…who are you?”

                “I…what?” I asked in confusion.

                “My Jace has obnoxiously long hair,” she said.

                “Oh, right. Mitch cut my hair,” I said, running a hand through it.

                My mom broke out into a huge smile. I couldn’t help but admire her. My mom was a beautiful woman. I had a fair amount of her features, which I was grateful for. My friends always joked about how she was a MILF.

                “It looks good. You look very handsome, Jace,” she said honestly.

                “You’re obligated to say that because I’m your son,” I pointed out.

                “True, but I’m being honest with you,” she said. “I like your hair short.”

                She was eyeing me carefully, as if she hadn’t seen me in years. I shifted nervously before sighing.

                “Mom,” I said.

                “Hm?” She looked up, meeting my eyes.