Kill The Lights {17}

I cracked my eyes open and found myself staring at Mitch’s neck. I dragged my gaze up to see that he was still fast asleep, his arms loosely around me.

                I rolled over a little and grabbed my phone, checking it. I mentally groaned and opened a text from my mother.

                From: Mom

                Jace, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt you today. I am happy for you and Mitch. I know you won’t answer if I call you. But please at least text me back and let me know where you are so I know you’re okay. I love you.

                I pulled the covers up over me and Mitch since they had slipped down a little. I sighed and decided to text my mom back, since it’s the very least I could do for the poor woman.

                To: Mom

                I’m at Mitch’s house.

                I wanted to add “I love you too” or “I’m sorry I yelled at you”, but couldn’t bring myself to. I set my phone down and closed my eyes, wondering if I could fall back to sleep.

                I jumped in surprise as a pounding started on Mitch’s door. Mitch groaned and sleepily rubbed at his eyes.

                “Is the world ending?” he mumbled.

                “No. I think your brother is trying to get in,” I said.

                “Shane, fuck off!” Mitch snapped. “I’m sleeping!”

                “Open the door!” Shane’s muffled voice floated through to us as the pounding continued.

                Mitch pushed the covers off of himself and I sighed at his expression. He was not a happy person. He did not like being woken up.

                Mitch jumped out of bed and stormed over, yanking the door open. He gripped Shane’s shirt and pulled him up close.

                “Don’t ever wake me up again,” he snarled.

                “Let go of me,” Shane said, glaring at him.

                “Why did you make me up?” Mitch demanded.

                “Because.” Shane shoved Mitch off of himself and glanced at me. “Get over here. We’re hanging out. I let Mitch hog you yesterday.”

                “You woke me up to hang out with Jace?” Mitch asked.

                Shane glanced at him lazily. “Yea, I did. Problem, midget?”

                Mitch shoved Shane against the door so hard that Shane nearly fell over. “You know I hate being woken up!”

                “Don’t shove me!” Shane snapped, kicking Mitch in the leg roughly.

                Mitch elbowed Shane in the stomach. “Don’t kick me!”

                “MITCHELL JACOB MARION, SHANE DANIEL MARION.” Carol came over, looking pissed off. “You, come with me. You threw him into the door,” she said, grabbing Mitch’s arm.

                “He woke me up!” Mitch whined, trying to pull his arm out of his mother’s grip.

                “I don’t care! Don’t throw him against the door! Jesus, can’t you two idiots ever stop fighting?!” Carol dragged Mitch away, probably to make him clean the garage as punishment.