Kill The Lights {22}

I opened my eyes and groaned, my head throbbing. I rolled over and scrambled backwards in surprise.

                Mitch was passed out next to me. How the hell did I end up in Mitch’s room? The last thing I could remember was drinking in Shane’s room.

                As yesterday’s events slowly came back to me, I glared at Mitch in disgust. I pushed the blankets off of myself and moved to get out of his bed.

                I yelled in surprise as Mitch grabbed the back of my shirt. He sat up, his eyes bloodshot. He rubbed at them sleepily with his free hand.

                “Where do you think you’re going?” he mumbled, his voice thick with sleep.

                “Out of here,” I snarled, prying his hand off of my shirt.

                “Jace, wait,” he said, stopping me when I tried to get up again. “Just calm down and hear me out, okay? Trevor and Patrick were in trouble. They got in a fight. Trevor managed to call me. They were going to get seriously hurt if I didn’t come help them.”

                “You weren’t going to tell me. I don’t like how secretive you are,” I said, pushing him backwards and jumping out of his bed. I stormed out of his bedroom, slamming his door when I left.

                I went to the kitchen, where Shane was sitting with Max and Jake. There was a nasty bruise on his jaw.

                “Is Mitchell up?” Carol demanded.

                “Yea. The bastard is awake,” I grumbled, sitting at the counter. God my head hurt.

                “I’m up,” Mitch said, following behind me.

                Carol went over to him and gripped his arm, dragging him over. She pointed at the bruise on Shane’s jaw.

                “What the hell?” she snapped.

                “He was letting Jace drink,” Mitch said.

                “I’m old enough to do what I want Mitch!” I said, glaring at him.

                “You and Shane fight all the time. You punch each other. You kick each other. But never that hard. That wasn’t your usual fighting. That was you attacking him. I don’t care what he was doing. You don’t punch him!” she yelled angrily.

                “You’re a shitty person Shane,” Mitch said, ignoring his mom.

                “Shut up Mitchell!” Shane said, clenching his fists.

                “At least he’s not a damn liar,” I shot.

                “Don’t try to blame me just because you fucked up,” Shane said.

                “I didn’t fuck up! You don’t know anything, so shut your damn mouth,” Mitch said.

                “ALL OF YOU SHUT UP!” Carol said.

                We all shut up, glancing at her nervously. She grabbed the back of Mitch’s shirt and dragged him out of the kitchen.

                “Stupid bastard,” Shane grumbled.

                I looked at my friends, and suddenly felt terrified. Everything was changing. Everything was starting to fall apart. Shane, Mitch, and I used to get along and spend so much time together. But now the brothers were fighting, and I was falling away from both of them.