Kill The Lights {15}

I stared at him, trying to remember how to form words. He watched me with a calm expression, waiting for me to speak.

                “Seriously?” I finally managed to choke out.

                He nodded. “Seriously.”

                I cleared my throat, trying to act casual. “Oh, um, that’s cool I guess.”

                He sighed and held his arms out to me. “Come on. I know you’re more excited than that.”

                “Damn straight,” I said and moved into his arms. I kissed him roughly, glad he had figured out his feelings so fast.

                “Mitch…are you sure?” I asked, pulling away from him.

                An image passed through my mind. An image of a six year old boy staring out of the window, telling himself over and over again that his daddy had just gotten out of work late, and that he would be home soon. His daddy would be home soon, and they would play catch together just like he had promised before he left for work that morning.

                “Jace, you’re too insecure. Are you sure you’re ready for a relationship?” he asked, raising an eyebrow at me.

                “I’m ready for a relationship,” I said defensively.

                “You need to talk to someone about your issues. Ideally your mom, but since you’re too much of a pussy, try me or Shane. Anyways, if you’re positive about this, then yes, I’m sure I want to date you,” he said.

                “So do we tell people?” I asked curiously.

                Mitch thought about it for a few seconds before shrugging. “Personally, I don’t care who knows. But I think we should wait until the right time to tell Shane,” he said.

                “Do your parents know about your disinterest in gender?” I asked.

                “Probably. I’m not worried about it. If my parents were homophobic, do you think they’d let you constantly sleep over with their sons?” he said, snickering. “They don’t care. And like I said; they probably know. They’re not stupid.”

                “Finding a good time to tell Shane could be kind of hard,” I pointed out.

                “The opportunity will arise at some point. If we tell him at a bad time, he’ll be obnoxious about it, and I don’t want to put up with that,” he said. “Are you going to tell your mom?”

                I dropped my gaze from him a shrugged. “Probably. The next time I see her.”

                I didn’t know when I would see her next. I didn’t want to see her for a while. I wanted her to stop worrying about me, but I didn’t know how to do that. So I guess I would just have to be a coward until I could figure something out.

                “You can’t stay here forever,” Mitch said, as if reading my mind. “The longest you’ve ever stayed here without going home was two weeks. You can’t keep doing that.”

                “I’ll go home eventually,” I said. If I really needed to, I could just sneak in through my window and then my mom would never have to know I was there, but the Marion brothers would think I was easing her mind or whatever.