Kill The Lights {16}

“I’m sure the boys will come pick you up once we’re back,” Carol said.

                “Yea, just text me when you’re back,” I said to Shane and Mitch.

                “We will,” Mitch assured.

                I shot him a knowing look before opening the front door. “Bye guys,” I called.

                “See you later Jace,” Shane said, giving a short wave.

                “Bye,” Mitch said. Carol smiled and waved to me.

                I shut the door and popped in my earphones, heading towards my house. I had decided to just sneak in through my window so that my mom wouldn’t see me. I wasn’t ready to face her yet.

                “Swear this isn’t what I wanted, god this house is haunted,” I mumbled along with my music as I neared my driveway.

                I crept up through my neighbor’s yard and carefully climbed up to my window. I had snuck in and out of my house so many times that it was basically second nature.

                God I felt like Mitch.

                I slid into my bedroom and shut my window as quietly as I could. I looked around my messy room as I pulled my earphones out.

                My eyes widened as I heard the sound of my mom walking towards my room. I turned and dropped to the ground, hiding under my bed like the coward I was.

                The bedroom door opened and mom came in. I shrunk back as I watched her walk to the center of my room. Her phone was tucked into her back pocket, music coming out of it.

                “You’re not alone, know that I’m here, know that I won’t take you for granted. The holes in our heart our ready to heal,” the music sang.

                My heart sank as I watched my mom looked around my bedroom. That was my favorite William Beckett song, and she knew it.

                “Oh Jace,” she said, startling me. But then I realized that she hadn’t actually seen me, and was just talking to herself. She let out a sigh. “I wish I knew if your laundry was actually dirty or if you’re just too lazy to put away clean laundry.” She dug through my clothes for a minute before giving up on trying to tell what was clean and what was dirty.

                She pulled out her phone, chewing on her lip nervously as she checked it. She ran a hand through her hair.

                “I’m sure he’s alright,” she mumbled to herself, but I could hear the worry in her voice.

                She turned and left my bedroom, shutting the door quietly behind her. I crawled out from under my bed and squeezed my eyes shut tightly.

                “I need to talk to her. She’s not okay,” I whispered, turning and crawling out of my window.

                I walked around the house and gulped as I reached the front door. I slowly pushed it open and stepped inside, going upstairs.

                “Jace!” mom said in surprise. She was dusting off the shelves in the living room.

                “Uh…hey,” I said. “Mitch and Shane are busy for a few hours.”