Gaston

In the morning I'm still in the chair, still curled in on myself. My knee throbs painfully. I let out a pained gasp falling out of the chair as my knee cramps up. The muscles tighten and pinch sending agonizing pain through me. I push my forehead into the ground bracing my hands beside me as I try and straighten my knee, to put weight on it to stop the seizing.

Heavy footsteps hurry down the stairs. I can see the beasts paws in my peripheral vision and wave him off. I let out a pained laugh shaking my head as the agony continues. "It's okay, this happens all the time." I explain. He watches me unmoving until the pain subsides enough I can get to my feet and relax the muscles again. I fall into the chair, my legs stretched in an unladylike fashion in front of me. "You say this happens often. Is there nothing to be done?" I lean back too look at him, into his blue eyes and shake my head. "Doctors tell me I should be bound in a wheelchair and immobilized. They say I'll go mad if they give me anything to ease the pain. I've tried other things, anything to ease it but it doesn't work. The damage isn't repairable I'm afraid." He closes his eyes for a minute. Two. He doesn't say anything and when he opens his eyes, whatever he was thinking about, he doesn't show it.

"I'll be going now. Nothing to request before I come back?" I ask rising again. He shakes his head and walks me to the door. As I leave I see him walk into the garden, losing him in the snowy fog. I ride at a steady pace back to the village. The towns people wave and smile as I pass. I forget about my mother kicking me out, forget to care that this is no longer my home.

I change into a new dress inside the horse stall, no one sees me do it either. The simple dark gown is a bit sheer in some places, the panels of fabric thinner but pretty. I adjust the collar of it, my cloak contrasting nicely to the dark folds that brush the ground.

In the market I spot belle and gaston. They walk with linked elbows and belle looks ready to vomit. My feet guide me quickly through the crowd to stand in front of the couple. "Belle!" I squeak happily. I don't bother greeting gaston or explaining myself as I drag her into the crowds and away from the monster.

"Océana! Thank you!" She embraces me tightly making me stumble. "I can't stand him either, I would never leave you in his hands." I smile pushing her off me gently. I pull a tin of salve from my pocket. "It will help heal them." I tell her trying not to look at the purple and greenish bruises. It will only make me angry. "I have to get back before he comes looking." Belle nervously glances into the heavily packed market. I nod. "I'll see you soon belle." I tell her before slipping back into the crowd to buy my usual supplies.

The shopping is slow, everyone wants what I need today. The baker-thankfully not my mother- is making a new batch of bread that won't be done until later on today. Billy-the grocer-hasn't got enough grains for today or milk or eggs. I grumble annoyed as I take a risk in riding to Paris to get what I need. It's well into the midday when I arrive, shops are packed with families and other single mothers or fathers trying to get home to their wives and bring that bottle of milk or carton of eggs.

The night has fallen when I ride through the trail. It makes me uneasy. Eyes follow us, hungry dark eyes. Howls haunt the trees calling to the moon. Wolves prowl from the murky depths of the forest. Their white fur glows like the snow.

"Florence. Go!" I urge him into a gallop, dodging tree branches and steep turns through the trail. Wolves snap at our heels and launch at us, one catches my cloak tearing it from my body and nearly taking me with it.

I cry out seeing the gates lurch towards us. Twenty feet away. The wolves grow closer. Ten feet. The wolves scratch Florence rump making him cry in pain. Five feet. The gates swing open on their own, I lean towards them. Florence throws us through the gates limping away as the wolves stop before crossing the threshold. They won't enter the castle grounds, they know who their master is.

Florence trots at a steady pace through the garden leaving a dribbling trail of blood in the snow. We stop at the stairs as always. Florence lies down going to sleep in the alcove like stall. My heart thunders in my ears as I walk up the steps. I knock, my fist striking the wood loudly. I walk inside taking the bag to the kitchen.

The heavy footsteps of the beast echo behind me as I go through the dining room, he comes in cornering me in the kitchen. "where were you?" He demands, his voice low and harsh. "I had to go to Paris, villeneuve had nothing. I was in the market still when the clock struck noon, it takes a few hours to get between the two places. I'm sorry for keeping you waiting." I look down at my booted feet holding out the pack like a child caught stealing. He takes it gently, a sigh escaping his lips. "I'm sorry for being angry. I thought you ran off." I smile shaking my head. " Goodnight. I will be back tomorrow." I smile patting his arm as I leave. I could swear he shudders as my fingers leave his soft fur. I walk out into the cold only to realize my mistake. Hungry wolves stand between me and villeneuve, I'm stuck here. Again.

I don't turn back to the castle, not again, I walk down the steps to the alcove to Florence, he lays with his legs curled beside him. I gently rest between his curled legs leaning against his flank.

The alcove protects us from the elements but my sheer dress lets the cold seep into my bones. I shiver pressing closer to Florence attempting to draw warmth from the horse. I will not go back into the castle, I will not be a burden to him.

I close my eyes, my skin turning blue, my body shaking from the wet cold darkening my dress. Ice has crystallized on the hem of my skirts. The snow is dark, the wind moans past the alcove in the night. Finally, the cold induced sleep drags me away, taking me before I hear the castle doors open, or the heavy footsteps of the beast coming to the alcove.