Competition

Sarah's POV

I indulged my inner geek and read through every panel. 'The story of Captain America was one of honor, bravery and sacrifice,' said the commentator over the speakers as it started a well thought out script that played at each panel. In essence, it was a timeless theme – an underdog turned larger than life hero in time to save the world from evil.

They had a nice part about each of the Howling Commandos and an admirable eulogy for Bucky. On another wall, clips of the many propaganda films he made during the war played on a loop. I smiled at how serious he looked in all of them. Steve put his arm around me and murmured how the director kept telling them not to look at the camera and how silly he had felt doing those until he saw one in person with an American audience as a newsreel forerunner to a weekly film and he saw how people responded to Captain America. It was then that he realized that Cap was a symbol of hope to the American public.

There was even a comic book about his efforts against Hydra, which he said was relatively true. I said I had a copy of it at home and he laughed. There were quite a few old photos of him with groups of soldiers. They had made their way all around Europe in pursuit of Hydra and it had always surprised him that even in the field, he could see how the regular Joe's would perk up when he and the Commandos visited a new camp.

There was an old film clip with Steve and Bucky and it captured how close they had been. I was amazed at how much my friend Jace resembled his great-uncle. They had some of the same expressions and mannerisms. That part of the exhibit made Steve quiet for a bit and I knew he was missing his best friend.

I could see why he chose to wear the ball cap today, some of the kids realized who he was. I saw Steve smile and put his finger to his lips more than once as we wandered through the exhibit, acknowledging them and silently asking them to play along. Wide-eyed, they nodded and smiled, content to play the game with him, for the most part.

I noticed a little blond girl in a t-shirt with Cap's shield on it, probably only around 5 or so years old, who kept staring at him, wide-eyed. She got away from her mom and ran up to him, latching on to his knees, which startled Steve for a moment since he hadn't seen her until then. Her mom apologized to us and tried to peel her off. I said it was fine and crouched down to have a whispered conversation with her. "Can I help you, sweetie?"

    "He's Captain America. I know it."

    "Yes, he is. It's his day off today, so he's not wearing his suit. Would you like a picture with him?" Her face lit up and she nodded.

    "Yes, please! He's my favoritest hero ever!" I smiled and stood up, looking at Steve.

    "She wants a photo with you, Grant. She thinks you look like Captain America." He grinned down at her and said, "Sure thing, doll. What's your name?"

    "Clara."

Her mom got her phone out to take a picture, but I said I'd do it for her. The crowd had thinned momentarily, so we went over in front of the life size Commandos and I positioned Steve so they were fanned out behind him and had him pick Clara up. I took one of just the two of them with my phone while I was waiting for Clara's mom to get in the picture, standing by Steve's side. I snapped a couple on her phone to make sure I got a good one. It turned out great. The kid was beaming, her mom was pretty, and Steve had a genuine smile on his face.

Clara smacked a kiss on Steve's cheek and gave his neck a good squeeze while I gave her mom her phone back. He set her down as her mom thanked us again and they went to check out the rest of the exhibit.

*                 *                  *

Steve's POV

"Looks like I have competition," Sarah laughed as she showed me the picture she'd taken of us. I think I smiled, but my mind was a long ways away. The old me thought a wife and children was something I should have by now; most men my age did back in my time. I'd planned to ask Peggy on a date and if things had worked out between us...maybe even proposed...but all that had changed when I'd buried that plane in the ice.