Chapter 3 - You only live once

“Baby? Hold on a moment?” Mr Sayer asked once again. Ali just shrugged but I could tell she was questioning why he kept holding me back. I was starting to as well.

Every morning I would jerk awake dreaming of a coffin or a man in old clothes. The voice will always swirl around my head. I hear it during the day as well as at night. I felt the same pull as always to go to the manor, but this time it was stronger. Much stronger. Since Sunday, I haven’t gone back. Today is Wednesday, its most likely my longest time away from that place.

“I see you did the project on Lord Grayson. But you never went into the manor.” Mr Sayer stated once everyone had dispersed. “Yeah, I don’t know. It just freaks me out. Not to mention that’s someone’s home. I will be like a trespasser or something.” I shrugged my shoulders.

“I think you are curious to know what is inside. Or have you ever even been round the back?” Thinking about his question, I haven’t. I’ve always stayed at the front. “No, but why do you want me to go so badly?” I questioned him. I don’t understand.

“Baby, things are changing. Times change, the manor has been there for a while. No one really knows what happened to the Lord but I think its time people do. You can find out. Baby, do you feel like you need to go there? Like you are being pulled there?” His question made my heart speed up.

“Yeah, yeah I do. But how do you know that?” He smiled. “Oh just a guess. If you feel that, it means nothing will hurt you. Follow your impulse. You may find all the answers you seek and more.”

Before I could question him even more, he excused his self to get the class ready for his next lesson. Walking out the door I went the same route as always to my next lesson. What am I looking for? How did he know how I felt though?

The receptionist walked down the hall, informing us that our last lesson has been cancelled as the teacher went home ill and they couldn’t find a replacement in such short notice. We were all free to go home. People cheered, others moved to the library.

I thought about going to the library but, I changed my mind.

Leaving the school grounds, I text Ali saying I get to go home and she cursed me as she was stuck in Spanish. My bag was practically empty as I left my books in my locker, I followed the other path I used when I want to escape afterschool. Climbing over logs, and pushing through bushes the fencing came into view.

The fence was similar to the iron gates. It was tall, spikes were at the top and the entire thing was black. Slipping through one of the gaps I walked towards the house. From this angle I ended up on the side. Well the front corner.

Looking around, I looked out to see if I can see anyone. Nothing but a crow on top of a destroyed statue. Crows freak me out.

Taking a deep breath I walked around to the front of the house. Looking in the windows that weren’t blocked up I couldn’t see anyone. Climbing the steps to the front door I took a deep breath. Pushing at the handle, I knew this was all a waste of time as the door was locked. Rattling it with both hands; it wouldn’t budge.

Sighing I shook my head. “Maybe another time.” I said to myself as I turned. Going down the steps I heard something you hear in horror movies. The door creaked open. Turning my head the door was wide open. Only one, the other was shut.

My options; 1) go in to the house, find the truth and hopefully the voices will stop as well as the pulling and have a possible chance of being killed even in my ever-so boring life. Or 2) Go home, never know the truth, and will be completely safe forever.