Chapter 18 - Saving all my energy

“Are you sure about this?” I sighed. “Yes mother. For the one-hundredth time. Why can’t you just be happy for me?” My mum didn't look her like her normal self, lately she wasn’t. She was in her tracksuit bottoms with a baggy top. Her brown hair was pulled, messily on top of her head, and no makeup was spotted.

“I am happy for you Sweetie, just isn’t this happening all too soon?” My jaw dropped. “Look at me mum. I don’t have much time left. Everything is happening to soon.” I snapped at her. AS soon as the words left my lips, I instantly regretted them. She covered her mouth with her hand, holding in the sob as she ran from my room.

“Mum! I’m sorry! Mum…” I sighed and dropped my head into my hands. I need to think before I speak. All I’m doing is hurting people.

Don’t worry about it, she knows you are angry at what is happening. Carlisle’s voice spoke to me through my mind. Through our link. I knew he was right, well a part of me did. My temper has become worse as did my condition. In no more than a couple of days, I was feeling like hell.

Today was New Years Eve. I was invited to a party which invited everyone from school. I wanted to go. A last goodbye type of thing. I was getting messages all day from people I saw in school, had as a friend on facebook, but never spoke to.

Ali was begging me to go, like usual. I wanted to, but my body didn't have the energy. Today I haven’t moved from my bed apart from needing the toilet, at this times I was helped. I was saving what little energy I had. The party started at nine, now it was five in the afternoon. The sun was descending and Carlisle should be here shortly. Hmm, wonder if he will help.

Sighing, flicked through the channels on my tv. I wanted something to make me laugh… Settling on ‘rules of engagement’ I was proud of my choice. Mum came back in a little more than half hour later. Apologising and telling me how thrilled she was of Carlisle and my engagement. Finally. 

She brought me dinner, and we both sat on my bed eating chicken salads of trays. It was times like this, that I forgot how truly messed up my life is. I’m sixteen and dying of an extremely rare cancer. I’m getting married to a vampire, that I found in a coffin near enough three months ago, and I have just over a week to get married and prepare to change into a vampire. Things are happening to fast.

I feel like the world is spinning and I can hardly hold on anymore. Soon my hands will slip from the vine that holds me down and I will be catapulted from this world and into the unknown.

I was partly right, the vampire world was still unknown. Surely there is more than he is telling me. Maybe holding back in desperate attempt to change me. I know he hates seeing me this ill and not able to do anything about it. Mum took our plates downstairs and left a kiss on my cheek. Bless her. I want to know she will be okay, I have to know. I can’t leave my dad and mum and find out they get divorced or drink themselves to death. It was something I couldn’t take.

Breaking my trail of thoughts a knock sounded on the door. Carlisle? “Come in.” I shifted and smiled, but then my smile dropped. It wasn’t Carlisle.

“Elizabeth what are you doing here?” I tried to sound polite but my confusion shone. I haven’t seen her since Ali’s attack. The blonde haired beauty stepped into my room, shutting the door behind her.

She was dressed more casually than normal, but still looked like her flawless self. A white chiffon shirt covered her top half, black, figure hugging jeans with nude strappy heels. Her hair was in her normal wavy blonde curls.

Here I am, in my mickey mouse pyjama’s, scrapped back greasy hair and my bones poking out. She smiled at me, and I smiled back politely before she sat next to me. “How are you doing? Frederick let me know what’s going on.” I nodded, cause he would. I wouldn’t think otherwise.