#14. Narrow it Down

"Three"...he dropped the knife.

Lestrade pushed Emmanuel to the floor and handcuffed him, while Sherlock ran over to John. "Are you okay?", he asked him as he pulled the tape from John's mouth. "Yes, I think so", John replied. Sherlock looked at the wounds on his body and released the ropes from his hands. "Don't worry they are entirely superficial. He was just toying with me still.", John explained. "There's no need to worry, you'll still have this pretty face to look at for a long time". Sherlock and John's eyes met and they laughed loudly in relief. "Yes, what would I do without my pretty blogger!", Sherlock quipped, and they laughed again as Sherlock helped John to his feet. John's legs were like jelly at first and Sherlock supported him. John took some deep breaths, shook the anxiety out through his arms, and started to regain the strength in his legs.

Lestrade had Emmanuel sitting against the wall on the floor handcuffed, and had already called for assistance in bringing him in, when laughter rang out from their direction. Sherlock and John glanced over to find Emmanuel laughing hysterically. Everyone looked at him in confusion. "What is it?", Sherlock asked him. "Oh, you don't even know what's happened!", Emmanuel continued to laugh. "We've both been played, Mr. Holmes! Do you really think I'm the one who told you where to find me? Not really my M.O., is it?". "What's he talking about?", Lestrade questioned Sherlock. "I see", Sherlock suddenly realized, "Someone hired him and then told us exactly where to find him,...but to what end? Someone's pulling the strings but who...who is it?". Emmanuel continued laughing. "Someone shut him up so I can think!", Sherlock barked in frustration. John grabbed the roll of tape Emmanuel had used on him and taped his mouth shut. "There we go", John smiled in satisfaction. Sherlock had already turned away and drifted off into his mind palace...

"What am I missing?", he said with his eyes still closed,... then he felt someone touch his hand. Sherlock opened his eyes. "Sherlock?", a small child whispered. "Charlotte!", Sherlock exclaimed as he looked down to see his little sister. "I'm scared!", Charlotte told him. "It's okay, there's no reason to be scared. I'm here!", Sherlock tried to reassure her. Charlotte pointed behind him, "Sherlock! She lies because she loves, not because she hates"....and Sherlock slowly turned...Janine?

"Think about it Sherlock! Why did your brother contact me of all people?", Janine asked him. "That's right. I have clearance, Sherlock! Think, Sherlock, think!". Charlotte started to cry and back away in fear. "What is it, Charlotte?", Sherlock asked her. "Stay where you are. I'm here!", he reminded her. "Who would she be that afraid of Sherlock?", Janine continued talking, "Think back! Someone set this whole chain of events into motion!". Mycroft appeared beside him, "Come now, brother mine....Narrow it down!!". The room spun..."I'm sorry", Janine confided, "I really did love you...just not like I love her!". The room stopped spinning and Sherlock stood in shock. "No! It can't be!", he yelled out, "It's secure!". "Can any place ever be secure from a genius like your sister?", Janine chimed in. "Sherlock!", Charlotte cried out in terror, "They're here!", and she ran off. "Charlotte!", Sherlock screamed as he took off after her. She ran down a hallway and disappeared around a corner. When Sherlock turned the corner moments later Molly stood in front of him, "You need to wake up! NOW!!", she said slapping him hard in the face. Sherlock opened his eyes. "Sherlock?", John said as he saw fear coalesce in his friend's eyes..."What is it?". Sherlock rubbed his face and took a deep breath, "The girls", he cried out, "we need to get to Mycroft's... NOW!!!".