#4. Mycroft's Hiding Spot

Inspector Lestrade met Sherlock and John outside Ethan Walsh's old estate. The estate had only recently been sold to a couple, and Lestrade was able to convince them to let them have a look around the property. Lestrade walked toward Sherlock and John with a box of the few items of interest from Ethan Walsh's murder at this very estate. Sherlock quickly sifted through everything in the box before they finally entered the house.

They looked over every room in detail and Lestrade noted that little had changed since the time of Ethan's murder, as the estate had been sold with all the furnishings included. The last room they entered was Ethan's. It was a large room decorated in the same classic victorian style as the rest of the house, except for the bed. The bed was raised up above the floor and stood out with its modern elegance like a sore thumb. Sherlock squinted his eyes and took another quick look from one side of the room to the other. "You said Charlotte was found hiding under this bed over here, right?", noted Sherlock, "So she was living here, at least at times, and yet there was no indication of any child living in this entire house." "That's right", said Lestrade. "At the time we thought she must have been a trafficked girl, and didn't know she was Ethan's daughter; but if she's Ethan's daughter there should be..." Sherlock didn't wait for Lestrade to finish that thought as he completed it for him.."a room!". "But we looked this whole place over thoroughly and found nothing...no clothes, toys, pictures,...nothing", exclaimed Lestrade. "Yes, everywhere except the obvious...the one staring you right in the face", replied Sherlock walking over to the bed and pulling up the skirt to look under it. "Flashlight", he yelled to Lestrade holding his hand out. Lestrade placed his flashlight into Sherlock's hand. Sherlock turned it on and looked closely at the raised floor under the bed. He got up energetically and started rubbing his hands all over the bed's frame. 'What on earth are you doing?", asked John as confused as ever. "There's a button somewhere, look!", Sherlock yelled impatiently. All three men searched the bed frame until finally John pressed a small button behind the headboard on the right side that triggered a hatch to open downward at the bottom edge of the bed, exposing a dark staircase.

They all stood perplexed for a moment, and then started down, finding a light switch on the wall nearby. After turning the lights on they were able to see a concrete hallway leading to several doors. Two of the doors opened to basement storage areas and the third to a small concrete room with a bed, dresser, toilet, and sink. Drawings were scattered everywhere and the bed disheveled. Sherlock rubbed his face and took a deep breath before stepping through the door frame. He crouched to look at some of the drawings on the floor. All of the drawings had one key and overwhelming characteristic yet again...a small black bunny; the same bunny which was sitting at the top corner of the bed. Sherlock rose and picked the well-dressed bunny up, and instinctively knew what to look for. Mother always embroidered their names into their clothes when they were little...and there inside the tiny little vest was the name 'Mycroft'. Sherlock's eyes began to fill with tears and his legs weakened beneath him so that he started to fall. John caught his arm and supported him. "It's alright. It's ok", John said softly. Sherlock wiped his face and stood up again. "We found Mycroft", he yelled, "now tell us where Charlotte is!". "We found what you asked!" He searched the room frantically throwing clothing and drawings everywhere looking for a camera or listening device.

Suddenly, Lestrade's phone rang and they all looked at him in expectation. "Sorry", he said, "it's work". "I'll just be a moment", and he left the room. Then Sherlock's text tone rang out. Sherlock read it and his face turned white. John stared nervously at Sherlock. "What does it say?", he asked. Sherlock handed the phone to John. John read it out loud just as Lestrade re-entered the room:

"There's only one way this story will end,

With the fall which should have been your end.

Now someone must take the fall for you,

Dear me, Mr. Holmes, what will you do?"

"Oh God", said John, "they're not talking about..." he didn't finish that thought as the men looked from one to the other. The phone rang out once again. "In half an hour you must race, to the tower of her lady's grace. For if you miss the final ring, one more angel will cease to sing." They all looked at each other and yelled out, "The Church of St. Mary's Grace". Sherlock continued,"...If we leave now we will get there in approximately 26 minutes", and they all began to run.