Chapter 21

Chapter 21

When we got home, my mom was in the kitchen. I was about to call her, but I saw someone with her. It was Vincent.

"Mom, we're home." I called into the kitchen. She came out to greet us. She smiled at Kendall. At least one of my parents likes him. When she saw my dad the smile disappeared.

"Aaron."

"Cynthia."

"Do you have something you want to tell us?" She asked. I knew she was talking about if he was with the people who tried to blow up me and Kendall. He nodded and sat in a chair. He was going to speak, but my mom beat him to it.

"I think we should tell you our story before you tell yours." He was about to protest, but stayed silent.

"You should know something about Kendall, first." My mom said and looked at Kendall.

He took a deep breath. "I'm a half-vampire." He admitted. I reached out and held his hand. My dad looked at him then our hands. He was not happy. He stood up and so did Vincent. He was ready to defend his best friend. My discomfort for him started to fade.

"Sit down and let us explain." He ordered. My dad looked at him. His expression changed.

"You're a full vampire." This was not a question.

"Yes and no harm will come to your family. My friend has just falling in love." Everyone was silent. The birds outside chirped. The clock ticked.

"Cynthia, what is this about?" He asked. He looked genially confused.

"You mean, you don't know? Aren't you apart of the group that's coming after us?" She didn't try to hide her surprise.

"I have no idea what you're talking about." He said.

"I thought you got your wings removed for that reason."

"Tell me what is going on." He demanded.

So we told him our story. The missiles. Kendall and I. After we were done, it was clear he wasn't expecting this.

"What news were you going to tell us, then?" I asked.

"I'm getting remarried." He announced. "Her name is Valerie and you're invited to the wedding." I faked a smile and rose from my chair.

I excused myself and went outside. The night was chilly and I wished I brought my coat. My dad was getting remarried. Why wasn't I happy for him? Maybe because I wasn't ready for it yet.

"Are you okay?" A voice came from behind me. I turned around to find Kendall. He was holding a blanket out to me and I took it.

"Thank you and yes, I just didn't see this coming." I admitted

"I'm here for you, whatever you need." He offered. I smiled and gave him a hug.

"I wonder why he hasn't said anything to me about us." He was referring to my dad.

"When you told him you liked me did you mean it?" I asked.

"Of course."

"His power is that he can tell if you're lying or not." Kendall looked relieved, like I just lifted a huge weight off his shoulders.

"Let's go back in."