Chapter 22

Chapter 22     

As the week went on, my dad went back to Miami. And the school found out we ditched, courtesy of my mom. We have detention for two hours. I was getting ready for school when my phone buzzed. It was a text from Kendall.

 I got detention for skipping school. He wrote.

Me to. I replied and walked downstairs.

And I thought detention was supposed to be a punishment. I smiled. Truthfully, I was just as excited for detention as he was.

It is. We should take it seriously. I wrote. 

Then why are you smiling? I looked up and Kendall was at the kitchen table. My mom was serving him chocolate chip pancakes. 

I gasped. "Cool." I boomed. Kendall grinned and my so did my mom.

"Chocolate chip pancakes." I said only half joking. Kendall and my mom stared laughing. I sat down and shoveled pancakes onto a plate. 

"You can't compete with chocolate chip pancakes." My mom warned him.

"I guess not." He ate another bite of his pancakes.

"Coffee?" My mom offered. He accepted and started adding sugar.

After we finished breakfast we went to school. I got out of his car and he took my hand. He walked me too Chemistry and we hugged goodbye. I walked in and heard this high pitched giggle. I turned to find it was Diana.

"You and Kendall." She cheered excitedly. I giggled too. Her excitement was contagious. 

"Tell me everything." She demanded. Before I could Mrs. Woodsman started teaching. I was slightly grateful. Most of the things that happened with Kendall consisted of fairies, missiles, and vampires. There wasn't much I could tell Diana. This was going to be harder than I thought. She would want details eventually. What was I going to tell her? I turned my attention back to class.

After school, I started for the detention room. I found Kendall in the hallway in front of me. He smiled and sauntered up to me.

"Are you ready?" He asked.

"This is the first time I've had detention." I admitted. I was a little nervous.

"It's not bad. You just sit there for two hours." He gave me a comforting look. We held hands and walked in. There was nobody here. Mr. Saltzman just came through the door. He looked annoyed.

"I'm a little surprised you two are in here." His sandy hair was a mess and his tie was undone. "Take your seats. If you haven't noticed you're the only two here." He looked even more annoyed when we hesitated. I took a chair closes to me and Kendall sat down next to me. Mr. Saltzman looked as if he was about to say something, but shrugged and stomped out of the room.

"What's his problem?" I asked.

"He probably doesn't want to be here. And he usually doesn't have to worry about his tutors dating his students."  He said and pulled a candy bar out of his pocket. He held it out to me.

"For you." I accepted it. 

"Thank you. I like chocolate." I opened it and started eating. He nodded with a smile. He put his arm around me and I laid my head on his shoulder. We heard some people speaking loudly and went to see who it was. Two older men we standing out in the hallway. One was Mr. Saltzman and the other had red hair. It was Vincent. Kendall and I exchanged confused glances. We tried to hear what there were saying, leaning further out the door.

"We don't need your kind here, Mr. Bloomingdale." Mr. Saltzman said harshly.  

"I'm here for my friend Kendall and his girlfriend, Vivian." Vincent voice was calm. This clearly bothered Mr. Saltzman.

"They have detention. You can find them later." Mr. Saltzman wanted him gone.

"I just want to see them." Vincent pushed on.

"If I let you see them, will you leave?" Vincent took a moment to think and agreed.

"Alright, let's go to them." We quickly got back to our chairs. Vincent smile at the sight of us.

"Hello how's detention?" He spoke in a cheery voice. Mr. Saltzman was red and he was breathing heavily.

"It's fine." Kendall replied.

"Vivian, you look delightful. I trust Kendall has been treating you well." I nodded. Vincent was about to say more but Mr. Saltzman interrupted.

"Will you leave now?" He demanded.

"Not yet, I haven't finished talking to them. Will you leave us alone?" He refused. "These children have detention and I'm supervising them." I made eye contact with Mr. Saltzman. I made him hear his phone ring. He took it out even though it wasn't ringing.

"I have to take this. I'll be right back" He wandered into the hallway.

"That was amazing. Will you show me something? But please don't set me on fire again." Vincent asked with pleading eyes. I was about to but Kendall shook head. "Why are you here, Vincent?"

"Cynthia wishes to speak to you. But I see you have detention." He explained. "Brown eyes, I believe your principle is coming back. Will you send him away again?" I nodded and looked at Mr. Saltzman. I thought of his office phone ringing and he went to answer it. Vincent's green eyes watched me with pleasure. "What a fascinating creature." He muttered under his breath.

"Well, I'll go see Cynthia. Will you join us when you are done?" We nodded and he was gone.