Chapter 15; Runaway

Mackenzie's POV

Before I could do anything crazy I had to stop at the house. Tears already brimmed my eyes, but I ran up to my room. I grabbed a bag and packed some of my things.

There was a knock at the door.

"It's open," I say weakly.

My mother opens the door with an envelope and a plate of cookies in her hand. She sits on my bed and I sit next to her.

"This came in the mail," mom said.

I looked at it. It's from NYU. I got excited. I hoped it was an acceptance letter. But, it was anything but that.

It was a denial letter.

I wanted to cry more, I let out a loud groan.

"Well just think, you can stay and work at the diner," mom said eating a cookie. She offers one to me but I deny it.

She leaves my room. I finally decided it's time to do something.

It's time to leave.

-

I drove far away from the horrible place I called home. I drove till there was nothing. Then everything stopped. I looked and shouted. I ran out of fucking gas.

"FUCK!" I screamed.

Tears brimmed my eyes more and more. I slammed my hands repeatedly on the dashboard.

I have a full on meltdown.

"Why me?! Why FUCKING ME!"

I bring my knees to my chest. I wrap my arms around my knees and cried.

"Mackenzie?"

I look up and see Maddie and her friends. Including Brynn and Lauren. The two in my grade. They're still in their uniforms.

"Go the fuck away!" I say.

"Mackenzie, please," Maddie said.

"Madison I said leave. I can't fucking believe you! I fucking trusted you for once in sixteen years! You're a fucking bitch!" I scream.

"Mackenzie we had nothing to do with it, we swear," Brooke said.

I look up and shook my head. "I know you did stop fucking lying."

"Mackenzie, I swear we didn't. It was Nadia," Lauren said.

"How did she get my messages then?"

They look at each other. Something's going on. I know it.

"I did it Mackenzie," Kendall admits. "She wants a reason on why John dumped her. I said I knew you were talking to someone. When you left yesterday, I saw the chat room open, I saw the messages and I told Nadia," Kendall explains.

Maddie opens the door and pulls me out and hugs me.

"I'm sorry Mackenzie, I didn't know she'd do this. I really didn't. I'm so sorry," Kendall apologized.

I get out of Maddie's hug and stare at all of them. I look at my car. My dads old car. I started kicking the car putting dents in it.

Then I feel arms wrapped around me. I thrashed so much I wore myself out. I fell to the ground and cried more.

"Mackenzie, we've cut her off. She's not hanging with us anymore," Brynn said.

I look up and shook my head. "How's that going to help me then?! Everything's going to be great for all of you but not for me!"