14. A costly mistake

Wren looked around the small and sparsely lit shop which was filled with wall to wall shelves of herbs, spices and vials of unknown substances he really didn't want to identify. Caspar was uneasy because beside the strong smells that hurt his sensitive nose he felt the soft tingling in the air that he associated with witchcraft.

"You feel it too, don't you?"

Wren nodded and sighed in discomfort. He had half a mind to leave when a soft voice called out from the shadows.

"Can I help you?"

"I'm looking for medicine to reduce mating heat."

A young woman stepped forward and looked at him with open curiosity.

"That is a very unusual request", she said cocking her head to the left. "Could you tell me a bit more about the details of the situation?"

Wren hesitated while she looked around for a way to take notes.

"Can I count on your discretion?" he said after some internal deliberations.

She looked up and smiled.

"I sell personalized secrets. Telling them to others would put me out of business."

"Come on", Casper pushed him. "We don't have a lot of options here. Things are going to get worse and put all of us in danger."

Wren frowned but nodded his head.

"Someone under my protection is in early heat. It's little over a week until they turn seventeen."

"Hm. Reducing early heat can be dealt with by keeping her separate from other wolfs. I guess that's not an option?"

"No. It's extremely important that no one knows early heat has set on."

"Ok. I will make enough for three weeks, just in case it takes a bit longer to find her mate. Although going on what you tell me I already think she met her mate and is in close proximity to him", Cassandra said writing down all required ingredients. "Come back in an hour. I'll have it for you then."

Relieved she didn't ask for more details he nodded.

"Perfect. I have some errands to run anyway."

On the way into town he passed a market and he wanted to buy a new outfit for Art. The boy really only had one set of clothes and was too proud to admit it.  Wren was not a man who had much interest in gaining wealth for selfish reasons. His salary as the Captain of the Guard was generous and it now allowed him to buy three sets of pants, shirts and undergarments. He even splurged on a pair of soft leather boots. Content with his purchases  and realizing he was running late he returned to the store only to find it empty.

"Is anyone here?" he called to the back of the store while eying the three vials on the counter. All were standing on a piece of paper containing cost and instructions.

A scrawny boy carrying a crate stuck his head out.

"My Mistress had an urgent errand to run. She'll be back in a while."

Wren cursed under his breath.

"I hope my order is ready, because I really can't afford to waste more time."

Vern bit his lip. Dealing with customers always made him nervous. Especially big, impressive men like this one.

"If you're in a hurry you can pay up, take the vial on the right and leave", he said grunting under the weight of the crate.

"Thank you're Mistress for me", said Wren reading the easy instructions, picking up the vial and leaving the paper with the proper amount of coins on the counter.

Continuing his work and feeling good about helping out Vern smiled when he heard his Mistress returning.

"Welcome back.  Earlier you just missed the customer for the heat reducing potion."

Glancing over to the counter she suddenly felt something was wrong. She rushed past him and let out an angry growl.

"Then why is his order still here?" she yelled at him.

"T-that's not p-possible", he stuttered. "I told him to take the vial on the right."

Cassandra looked down on the remaining vials and cried out in disbelieve.

"And that is exactly what he did", she said pointing at the piece of paper on the left. "He took the vial on his right."

Snatching the correct vial from the counter she hurried to Vern and pressed it in his hands.

"Here. Catch him and swap the vials."

"But...but...he left almost an hour ago", Vern protested. "I'll never be able to catch him."

He helplessly raised his hands.

"Did he even say where he was from? In which direction he was traveling?"

Knowing he was right Cassandra hit him over the head and wearily sighed.

"Get back to work."

Desperation filled her when she saw that the medicine she made for a barren couple was missing. A man thinking he had the remedy for early heat was carrying the most powerful fertility potion she had ever made. Whomever used this potion would get pregnant on the first try.