Chapter Thirteen

Chapter 13

The day was upon me before I knew it, and I was presented with the day of planting a tree to honour Dannie and her little ceremony. It was precisely a week later, and I wasn't at all ready but it was too late to worry.

Myself, Claire and a few others including Danny's mentor came down to the pond, and stood around a small fire, which we burnt her file as a good bye, then everyone said some words and they planted the tree in the hole, a baby willow tree I'd picked since it reminded me of her.

We all lit candles, and it flickered so naturally and gorgeous just like Dannie.

Everyone talked about her, and then it was my turn, and in a whisper, I read out my speech about Dannie;

Dannie, You're my angel without wings, my life support. You taught me so much, And now I miss you, every minute, every hour, every day, It's weird how things changed, and now I miss you, my angel... Love you <3

In the instant after that with anger I threw my speech into the flames and watched at they licked it and it turned to ash, and I thought about Dannie, had her parents cremated her? And is this all that's left?

I started to cry and sat down, on the ground as everyone sloped off back towards the building, Claire stood next to me and smiled, then pulled something out of her pocket.

"Effie, I'm so proud of you. I knew this isn't what you wanted but it needed to happen hunnie, and I found this. It's the ribbon Dannie but it your hair," And she handed it me. "I'm really not supposed to leave you alone, but I'm going wait by the tree's for you and you can have a couple of moments alone." Claire slowly wandered off and I sat there in shock, I couldn't believe it.

Then with the ribbon, I tied it around the tree in a bow and stood up and wandered towards Claire, tears in my eyes.I turned and looked back at the pond, the tree and the fire, and that's when the tear rolled down my face.

Dear Dannie,

Saying goodbye today was agonising, I was the only one who saw what happened and to be there was truly horrific. I love you insanely and that isn't something I'd ever want to have to do. I'm sorry again my angel, I'll never forgive myself.

Love you and see you soon,

-Your lover and best friend (Effie) xxx