34 ~ A Good Doctor

You and Papyrus burst into the lab in Hotland and pause for a moment. Dr. Gaster is nowhere to be seen.

After you had pulled Papyrus to his feet, you and he had taken off running, with you only having just enough time to shout to Alphys to please call Toriel and tell her where you were. Then you and Papyrus were getting into his car, driving up the mountain, running through New Home and Hotland, and eventually reaching the lab.

But now that you're there, you can't find Sans.

Papyrus suggests you check upstairs, but they aren't there, either.

You look at Papyrus. He's cradling his broken left arm to his chest, but other than that, hardly gives a hint that it's painful. His face is covered completely in concern, for Sans. He wants his brother. Badly.

You take his uninjured hand and lead him towards the elevator. He hesitates- he doesn't know it's an elevator, after all, the bathroom sign is still hanging on the wall.

Despite his protests that it's a bathroom for girl dinosaurs, Papyrus follows you in.

And then you pause. There are nine buttons on the elevator wall. It would take far too long to search them all, and you can see the desperation in Papyrus's eyes. He wants his brother.

But then you get an idea. "Papyrus, Sans would have been carrying his phone in his pocket, right? So let's just call that, and maybe Dr. Gaster will answer."

Papyrus just nods. You pull out your phone and punch in Sans' number. After a moment, the call is answered.

"Hello?"

"Dr. Gaster?" You ask. It certainly sounds like his voice.

"... Yes. What?"

"U-um. Papyrus and I are at the lab."

"And?"

"And, uh, where are you?"

"My lab. Tenth floor."

"Okay. We'll be there in a minute." You hang up and turn to the control panel.

And you pause. Because there are only nine buttons, not ten. How do you get to the tenth floor?

You have no choice but to call Dr. Gaster again.

"Yes? What is it now?"

"Uhm... how do we get to the tenth floor?"

"What do you think you do? You take the elevator!"

"But there's only nine buttons!"

You hear a sigh, like Dr. Gaster thinks you're the biggest idiot there is. Then, finally, "Push the lobby button twice."

And then he hangs up.

You give Papyrus a hopeful smile, and hit the lobby button twice. The elevator starts to move downward.

It's a long ride. At some point, Papyrus reaches out and takes your hand again. He clings to you tightly, and you can feel him trembling just a little.

Then the elevator doors open, into a hallway just like the other True Lab halls. It's easy to tell which lab room Dr. Gaster is in- it's the only one with light coming from beneath the door. The rest are still and dark and silent.

You carefully guide Papyrus toward the door and push it open.

Inside is a moderately spaced room, decided into two parts. One side has a big desk with a nice spinny chair and several drawing tables. The walls of that side are lined with filing cabinets and cupboards. It looks like more of an office. The other side looks more like a lab or workshop. There's a big steel table, and machinery next to it and all over the walls. There are some large counters, and big steel sinks set in the counters.