33 ~ If a Soul Still Beats

You and Chara back away from Dr. Gaster simultaneously, in opposite directions, and you're quite glad his gaze is not on you.

Chara holds their hand up to their chest, just over their stolen Soul, a grimace crossing their face. "No. No! I took this! This is my Soul!"

Dr. Gaster's voice, that horrible cacophony of noises buried in static, seems to come from everywhere at once. "🙂✝️💧❄️ 👌👈👍✌️✝️💧👈 ✡️🏴✝️ ❄️🏴🏴😐 💧🏴💣👈❄️👇✋️☠️👆 👎🏴👈💧 ☠️🏴❄️ 💣👈✌️☠️ ✋️❄️ ✋️💧 ✡️🏴✝️☀️💧📪 👎👈💣🏴☠️📬 ❄️👇✋️💧 ✋️💧 💣✡️ 👉✋️☠️✌️☹️ 🏴👉👉👈☀️📬 👆✋️✝️👈 💣👈 💣✡️ 💧🏴✝️☹️📬 ☠️🏴✝️📬"

Chara starts to get that insane look, blackness crawling over their eyes. "How are you even here?" They screech. "You can't be here! I have your Soul!! You can't be here!"

"👌✝️❄️ ✋️ ✌️💣📬 ✌️☠️👎 ✋️ ✌️💣 ❄️✌️😐✋️☠️👆 ✡️🏴✝️☀️ ✌️👎💣🏴☠️✋️💧👇💣👈☠️❄️ ✌️💧 ✌️ ☀️👈👉✝️💧✌️☹️📬" Dr. Gaster lowers his hands back to his sides. "✋️ ✝️✋️☹️☹️ 💣✌️😐👈 ✡️🏴✝️ 👌✝️☀️☠️📪 👎👈💣🏴☠️📬"

Then with one sharp motion, he jerks his hand upward, and black tendrils, much like those that had frequently destroyed the machine, burst from the floor, flailing at Chara, who dodges, a look of concentration on their face.

And then the battle is on. Dr. Gaster fights like no monster you've ever seen. Sure, he uses attacks, like tendrils of Void ooze, seemingly half-melted bones, Blasters like Sans' but much more draconic, and even hands he can apparently summon at will, but he also fights with his own two hands. He doesn't hesitate to move forward (how
exactly, you're not sure, as he doesn't seem to have legs) and deliver a swift punch to Chara's gut, or grab their head and smash them into the floor.

Chara fares much worse against Dr. Gaster than they did against Sans.

Speaking of Sans, he's still down and out. Papyrus is kneeling next to him, eyes closed, hands splayed across Sans' ribs, pouring healing Magic into his brother, despite his own broken arm. You can't tell how well it's working. Alphys is tending to Undyne with considerably more success.

When you look back to the fight, you see Dr. Gaster's got Chara pinned down with his Void ooze tendrils, and is prying the knife from their hand. Once he's got it in his own grip, he raises it above his head, then plunges it into Chara's chest.

Their scream makes you cringe, your hands rising to your ears. It only gets worse when Dr. Gaster drags the knife downward, cutting Chara open.

It doesn't matter that the liquid oozing out isn't blood, but more black stuff of the Void. It still makes your stomach upset.

And then Dr. Gaster shoves his hand into the wound. He sticks his hand straight into Chara's chest.

For a moment, they sit like that. Then Dr. Gaster yanks his hand backwards, something white and glowing in his palm, tearing his Soul away from Chara despite Chara's... internal Void organs...? trying to hold on to it.

Then he stands, the Soul grasped between both hands, and steps back. For a moment, he and Chara just look at each other.

You could swear the gaping crevasse of Dr. Gaster's grin gets bigger.

And then he shoves the Soul into the gaping wound in his own chest, which immediately starts to seal itself up.

In fact, all of Dr. Gaster is changing. You can see it as he stumbles back a little, twitching and convulsing, strange groans and cracking sounds filling the air. His hands are no longer the same smooth, white surface, but become more skeletal, bones taking shape. His head becomes not the smooth white... shape, but more of an actual skull, though still with the large vertical cracks, his right eyesocket still half closed. His strange body shifts, becomes a long black robe of sorts, then a black coat, draped over quickly straightening shoulders. Beneath the coat, he wears a grey sweater and cargo pants.