Tuesday's Sausage Links

"For I am the LORD your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, 'Do not fear; I will help you'" ~ Isaiah 41:13

Once Jason and I got out of the basement, I ignored all the bothersome questions of 'What I saw' or 'Why I was covered in bruises?' or even 'Where did all the blood come from?'. I knew they meant well, but their incessant questions where knocking off my adrenaline- which kept the fear at bay during the whole ordeal. Each question was like a woodpecker pecking at the wood and my brain was the wood being pecked.

I dragged Lucy home and took the longest shower of my life. After the adrenaline wore off, I was stuck with the visual of a woman- with her stomach carved out- lying on a cold table; while Grace began skinning it like she was preparing a hog. I let the water run marathons all over my body and ignored the banging on the door and the shouts from Lucy.

After ignoring the curious and concerning looks from my parents and Lucy; I sat in bed and stared into the mirror in the sky as it shone brightly on my face.

I don't think I'll be able to sleep ever again.

There are some things that you should never see and that basement was a prime example.

Lucy must've known because she came in my room and stared at me.

"I wish you would tell me what happened down there" she whispered.

"Lucy; it's too hard to put into words" I said as tears escaped from jail and ran down my cheeks and onto the pillows.

Lucy brushed her hands around my neck where I flinched as the violet hands that kept my neck hostage coiled harder.

"I told mom that we tried to reenact Bart and Homer Simpson from The Simpsons when she asked what happened to your neck" Lucy chuckled as a smile peeked from my stream of tears. "Of course she and dad didn't believe me but didn't want to know the truth just yet"

Lucy grabbed my hand and squeezed. "I'm sorry I wasn't there to protect you like a big sister should" she said as I felt wetness on my hand.

Lucy kept my hand squeezed as she kneeled next to me on the floor and said a silent prayer before kissing me on the forehead and leaving the room. I knew that I had to tell her soon but I didn't know how to articulate what I saw into words.

The next morning came sooner than I expected. I guess Lucy prayed that I would have peaceful sleep because I fell asleep with no nightmares.

But that didn't change the fact that; whenever I closed my eyes- I'd see Regina.

I didn't plan on getting up today but the gang showed up with concern and unanswered questions in their eyes. Des and Ethan played the twin card and had on a violet shirt that matched my bruises and black pants. Mary wore an elegant top and a see-through white skirt with sandals. Jason and Isaiah wore casual; jeans and a shirt. Lucy was wearing mom's KISS shirt but was wearing jean shorts instead of the usual sweats she wore around the house.

They all came to my room and spoke softly as I stared.

Jason apologized about not getting me out earlier; which sparked hatred in me. He knew how to get me out but ended up with me having to risk my life in the end and seeing something I should never have to see.

While I was thinking of Jason, Lucy must've led the gang into the kitchen because I didn't see them anymore after my fit of rage. Lucy came up to me every now and then to check up on me and, every time, said a silent prayer before leaving my room.

Around noon, I got tired of this slump. I had a teacher that always told me that if I wanted to be a detective, then I would have to be able to see the good, the bad, and the ugly; and let it not interfere with work. Seeing someone lie on a table instead of in a proper burial ground unsettled me though. It unsettled me more that it was in the basement of someone Lucy and I supposedly "trusted".