17: Never Saw Goodbye

(Vivii's POV) November 21st 2013

I was driving with Josh to get something for Amarie's birthday, not watching the road and singing along to the endless steam of good songs on the radio on a satellite radio station.

I didn't know what would happen to me that very night. It wasn't easy to think about it at all, plus I was still kind of watching the road.

I saw him swerve. I panicked and told Josh to get out before the car rolled. I couldn't risk Josh's life over mine. Josh refused to get out of the car.

The sickening crunch as I shut my eyes and the song drones out of the radio.

Josh had gotten out and I felt the world glitter behind my eyes, fluttering and fading. "Vivii!" Josh held my head in his lap, the car aflame. "Vivii don't you fucking dare leave me.. I want to marry you. I want to ducking marry you."

"I'll marry you Ramsay if I live," I whispered but I knew I wouldn't live. I felt the blood dribbled down my face from the shattered glass and heard Josh's sweet voice singing.

".." What was he singing? "I saw the way you fit right in, the house my arms.. Like you were meant to be right here .. I saw the future dressed in white.... And I saw the way you smiled.. But I never saw goodbye.. I nerve saw the time you would walk away.. I never saw the signs.. Now I'm standin' where you left me, I never saw goodbye.." Josh was singing a country song. A breakup song turned into a lullaby. I couldn't stay alive but for one more minute as much as strength I had to pull free.

The sweet oblivion took me; and I felt my spirit lift above Josh; watching him cry was heartbreaking, but I was free. Flashes burned my eyelids as my spirit flashed towards the clouds; hoping I didn't send any pain to my dear beautiful damn fucking awesome boyfriend; I wanted it easy as a bands of to float away and never come back.

-----

(Josh's POV)

I'd narrowly escaped, but Vivii got the worst of it. A broken neck, several internal injuries, and she looked virtually unrecognizable with the bloods streaming down her face. Her beautiful green eyes turned to narrow slits as tears fell from them. We both knew it was our goodbye. "I'm so sorry Vivii.." I whispered and kept singing the song I'd started, I knew that she loved the voice I sang softly in.

I never thought I'd be standing in a morgue identifying my Vivii. It was her alright when she was cleaned up. She looked so beautiful in her outfit. She was now very simplistic, her only necklace a rustic key necklace I'd gotten her that unlocked a special heart shaped box that contained all of her precious memories I'd found and she'd added to over the years. I put it on my neck and cried in that damn viewing chair as they asked me what I witnessed.

I escaped with no injuries cause Vivii shoved me out at the last possible second. I didn't ever want to leave her amongst the car which had caught flame. She was going to be my wife. God damn it I wanted her to be. I was going to propose with the same ring she refused.

A lot of people came to comfort me. Thank god I had Amarie around, her sweet little face reminding me of my Vivii. We'd been through so much fucking together. I hoped that Ammy would grow up normal.

I don't know why she let go. I asked her to but why did she listen for once? She fell into dreamless sleep in my arms, a symbol of peace. Our happy ending. Yeah ficling fight. I'm a single dad to a little girl.

Well hopefully not. Vivii's letter she had in her will if Amanda was still around, she and me were to resume who we were so Amarie could have a mother to confide in. Amarie had met Amanda twice. Amanda had stayed single due to this odd clause.

But Vivii told me to love someone and love them like I did her. And I did. I loved Amanda. Even sliding the ring back onto Amanda's finger was hard but I did it for Amarie. Even when me and Amanda's son Alex, and Joshua, and little girl Viviane were born , he was beautiful and wonderful and everything ever was, it never filled the whole of Vivii.