The Second Choice

My little brother got in a major accident on his dirt bike. He has two broken arms and a leg and road rash everywhere. :,(

"Ivan? Are you home right now?" Matthew decided to call the Russian before he stopped by. Sometimes he had sketchy people at his house and it wasn't safe to visit.
"Da. There's nobody here right now."
"Shhhhh! Phone tapping!" Matthew hissed.
"They don't know about this phone. It's where I store my memes."
"Oh shit. That's clever."
"Da. Were you coming to visit?"
"I'm right outside your gate."
"Why so soon after a meeting?" There was a bit of hope in his voice. Maybe Ivan thought this was a love confession.
"I need to tell you something."
"I'll open the gate."
"I'll be right in."
Matthew waited until the electronic gate slid open and then slipped onto the property. He had always enjoyed the place. The front court was covered in sunflowers and in the winter Matthew could come over and play hockey on the pond.
"Matvey!" Ivan greeted the Canadian by kissing him right on the lips. He knew that was how Russians greeted people but Ivan barely used that on the other countries because he knew how uncomfortable they got. Matthew didn't mind too much but he had never said anything.
"You're cheerful today."
"I am. It's really sunny, da?"
"Mhm...you might want to sit down for a sec." He might as well get to the point.
"Why?"
"I have to tell you something and it's kind of shocking."
"I already know what this is about."
"It's not a love confession, if that's what you think."
"I'll sit down." The poor dude looked so dejectedski. He lead Matthew into his living room and sat them both down on his couch.
"So...how do you feel aboot kids?"
"I love them? Why?"
"I may or may not have one of yours growing inside me."
"What?"
"I'm pregnant."
"Oh wow! This is great news! There's plenty of spaces here for the little one to play!"
"Slow down." Matthew held up his hands. "I'm not even entirely sure it's yours. It could be Gil's and there's a small chance that it's Lars's."
"So? I will help you anyway. I will do the best job ever."
Matthew nodded. "I appreciate it."
"And if it is both of ours's then it will be the best hockey player in the world."
"Ivan...there's a chance, a very big chance, that this kid won't even see the light of day. Even if it does manage to survive that long, it's gonna be sickly. Russia and Canada might be too cold and hockey might be too straining. So don't get your hopes up, okay?"
Ivan's face fell. "It might not survive?"
"You've lived a long time. You know that no country has succeeded in this. Papa said it hasn't happened since the seventeenth century, though, so modern technology might make a difference."
"I hope you get all the way through."
"I hope so too." Matthew smiled. But what if it was Gil's. Ivan would stay with him no matter what and Gil would stay if it was his. He would have two extra parents in the house.
Or maybe Gilbert would abandon it completely when he found out the Russian would take his place. Either way, Matthew preferred Ivan as a father over Gilbert.