New Beginnings

Laura Darby

Small Heath, Birmingham.

Laura was 20 when she took a job in The Garrison in Small Heath. She had grown up in Birmingham, her parents and 2 older brothers lived in a small home, her father was a raging alcoholic and left very little money for the family to get by. Once Jack and Davie were old enough they were out working to keep the family afloat. Laura looked up to her older brothers, there was 2 years between her and Davie and 4 years between her and Jack.
Growing up in Small Heath was happy for the Darby family for the most part, but, Laura's father died when she was 16, he had drank himself silly, fell, hit his head, and never woke up. This made the family even closer and the siblings pulled together around their mother and supported each other.

***********************************
Laura woke up early, it was the first day of her new job in The Garrison, she was well used to Small Heath, she knew of the Peaky Blinders, she knew they were regulars. She was just going to put her head down, do her job and not get involved with any drama or fights. She dressed in her usual black dress and boots, and walked the half mile to The Garrison, raring to go, looking forward to making some money and to help support her family. She confidently strode into The Garrison, greeted Harry, her new boss and got to work.
Her first few weeks flew by in a haze, she loved her new job and could finally afford some nice things for herself. The Peaky Blinders were quiet, never caused hastle, she brought them their whiskey and knew it was always on the house. She was afraid to look too closely at them, to have much interaction with them.

***Please don't forget to vote if you like my story it really means a lot. Feedback welcomed***