What Is Love

*Tommy's POV*

"Laura, wait" I'm running out the front door of The Garrison.
She's gone, she couldn't be gone that far, "Laura, Laura please love"

"Laura's POV"

I'm sitting by the river, I can hear him calling for me,
I want to say, Tommy, I'm here... I want to shout back, Tommy I think I love you. Fuck. I sit at the river and take out my fags, the sky is clear and starry.
I can hear soft feet on the ground behind me, I whip my head around in fear. Its Tommy.
"FUCK TOMMY LEAVE ME ALONE, take the hint, I don't want to speak to you" I get up and turn my back to him.
"Please love, just hear me ou.."
"LOVE.. do you even know the meaning of the word love, Thomas?"
"Look, I'm really sorry OK, I don't know why I said that the other night. I definatley don't hate you though. I spend my whole life putting up walls, pushing people away. It's a dangerous life I live." he sniffs and grins at me. "I want to know you, I want you to know who I am."
"Youve got a funny way of showing it."
He lights up a smoke and takes a long drag.

My arms are wrapped around myself, it's cold, he takes off his jacket and drapes it over me.
"Can I walk you home? I'd feel safer with you not being alone at night on the streets of Small Heath"
"Yes"
I spark up a smoke and walk beside him.
"Can we be friends?"
"Friends" I can't be this man's friend.. How will I look at him when he is hanging out of another woman................. "Yes, we can be friends Thomas."

********************************
At my front door, I stop and say goodnight to Tommy. He kisses me on the cheek and says goodnight.
Walking into the hallway I can hear a male voice speaking to Ada. I realise I'm still wearing Tommy's jacket, but he's gone, so I drape it over my arm and walk to the living room.
"Hey Ada I'm home, wait till I fill you in on what happened on my way home."

I stop, it's John sat on the sofa, I haven't seen him since I told them all to fuck off, he gets to his feet and crosses the room to me.
"Darlin' forgive me, I needed to see you, fucking can't stop thinking about you." his eyes look deep into mine, I can see his love for me. He tries to hug me, but I pull away.
"Ada can you give us a minute alone please."

I sit down on the sofa and look to the floor.
"John, I don't want to mess you about, this is a difficult situation, I'm in love with T..."
"No, you can't fucking do this, you cant do this, Im falling in love with you, and you love him." John is pacing the living room and throws his glass across the room, it smashes into a million pieces off the wall.
"I'm sorry John. How did you know?" I start to cry, I do care for John, I can't bear to break his heart, but it's not fair to him.
"I've seen you looking at him, I wish you could look at me like that. He always asks about you, if you will be working when we're going to the pub, have I FUCKED you yet" John sits on the sofa, he puts his head in his hands. "I fucking love you, not him" I hear him whisper.

Ada has opened the door to someone, "Laura, Tommy is at the door he says you have his jacket..."

John's head springs up and he looks at me through squinted eyes, "You were with him tonight..."hes shouting at me.
Ada and Tommy run into the living room and see John, the broken glass and my tear covered face.
John walks over to Tommy, spits at his feet and walks out the door.

***Please don't forget to vote if you like my story. Feedback welcomed***