Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Tobias walked around the fence and through the gate that separated the dogs and the rest of the open park.

I walked over to the gate, but I also kept my eye on Casey making sure she didn't get in any more trouble.

"Hi again," he smiled. His features looking very relaxed and happy.

That smile seemed to have brought a single butterfly into my stomach. I had only felt that feeling once or twice in my life.

I wiggled my eyebrows, "Hi." Smiling a real actual smile, I brushed some of my hair out of my eyes.

He smiled and then his eyes focused on the bruise that was on my face. His nose gathered a few wrinkles; his face got a little darker at the fact that I had gotten smacked.

He walked over to me and he brushed his course thumb over the bruise.

"It doesn't hurt much anymore," I said almost in a whisper.

He shook his head and lightly pressed a squishy freezer pack to my face. "I'm sorry if it stings."

I hissed but held it to my face, "It's fine. What did you run home to go get this?" I said teasing him. But when he didn't respond I choked out a laugh, "You went home to get me an icepack?"

His face had a small blush bloom across his face.

"Aww," I said my voice almost drenched with a honey like sweetness, although I admit I was definitely teasing him. I couldn't believe he had actually gone to his house to get me an ice pack.

"Be quiet," he said not meeting my eye. Although he said it in more of a teasing way not like he was actually angry at me for teasing him.

I then turned my face, my eyes searching for Casey. She was running around playing with a German Sheppard and a Dachshund. The dachshund was running around Casey, wiggling its hotdog shaped body. The German Sheppard was leaning down while wiggling its butt. Casey looked like she was having the time of her life.

I smiled, my eyes following the trio. Other dogs were running around and playing as well. But those three were in their own little bubbles and were having a lot of fun.

"Which one is yours?" Tobias asked, breaking my concentration from the trio.

"Mine is the gray pitbull playing with the German Sheppard and Dachshund. Her name is Casey," I said, my eyes following them as they started running around and in-between trees.

"She's pretty, how long have you had her?" he asked.

"It will be two years next March." I said smiling in her direction, I then turned my attention back to him and asked, "What about you? Do you have any pets?"

His gaze returned back to me, "Nah, I don't have a pet at the moment. We had a dog when I was younger but it was never mine. My brother and I shared the responsibility of a fish but I don't count that as a pet, at least the one we had."

"Interesting..." I mused, "I never had a pet when I was a kid. My grandpa had an old farm dog which I adored but I only saw my gramps once in a blue moon when I was growing up. That is until I moved in with him when I was 16." I said thinking about how I needed to book a flight and confirm that Uncle Aaron could come and pick me up.

Aaron and Gramps live in Grandview Texas, kinda in nowhere but close enough to the doctor if need be. Gramps used to tell stories about how back when his grandpa had gotten the land. They had sold it in miles and not acres like nowadays.