Chapter 19 Surprise!

Logan, Tommy and I sat around the dining table for what must be the most awkward fifteen minutes of my whole entire life. All that time dad was busily making coffee and Jan was pouring out bowls of bean curd and they were humming the same tune. 

"What is my dad doing hanging out with Tommy's mum? This better not be a match-making plot or one of Logan's scheming tricks. I'll kill him," I thought to myself as I gave Logan a dirty eye. He shrugged looking as puzzled as I was. When the food was ready we fell silent as we started dipping our dough sticks into our bean curd in an almost rhythmic 12/8 beat. The silence was impenetrable as a million questions flooded my brain.

While I was still sorting out what to say, Tommy said, "So, em, how did you two meet, mom?"

Jan looked at dad and he said, "Well, there was a time when Jan kept calling and asking for Sandy but she was never home. I kept passing messages and we got to chatting. Jan is such a fascinating woman." Dad looked adoringly at Jan. 

All of us squirmed in our seats, as if we had been sent to the naughty seat for an hour. We looked into our bowls and started frantically dunking our longish dough sticks into our bowls. We looked like we were taking part in a dough dunking race of sorts. 

Jan looked at us and burst out laughing and soon dad joined in.

"Look kids," said Jan, "I know things are a little weird right now but we know what we're doing. We've been married before, you know."

"But mum," started Tommy hesitantly, "What if it doesn't work out? Sandy and I are seeing each other and you'll have to meet each other socially. It'll might be hard for everyone." Logan and I nodded solemnly at exactly the same angle looking a little like synchronised swimmers.

Jan sighed, "My son the worrier. We'll be fine son. You and Sandy were meant to be. We all agree on that." 

Everyone nodded in agreement--everyone except me.

"Wait a minute," I began, "I haven't agreed to anything yet you know."

"Sandy, my dear," said dad soothingly, "Calm down, of course no one is pushing you or match-making or anything like that. All Jan meant is that you have so much in common-- you know, the obsession with books, the inability to drive properly, love for ice-cream and sugary food, the quibbling over exact meanings of words and the love for small furry animals and children."

"Dad, you've been discussing me!" I exclaimed feeling like I regressed back in time to six.

"He's right you know. We do have a lot in common." said Tommy and everyone else nodded again in a synchronised manner.

"And what may I ask do you two have in common?" I murmured feeling cornered.

"Grief over the loss of the happily-ever-after," responded Jan quietly into her bowl of bean curd. We all bowed our heads and stared at the soft white silken lumps floating in our bowls of sweet whitish liquid.

"Sandy, Logan...there were things about Daisy, that you don't know about. I just discovered it recently myself and..." dad's voice tapered off as Logan interrupted.

"Dad, it's okay. We know all about it. We understand and we ..." said Logan catching my eye, "we approve." 

All three children broke out into spontaneous synchronised and rhythmic nodding again.

"Good then," said Jan quickly, "I'm glad that that's all sorted out. Let's eat. 

All five of us turned to our fried dough and started slurping, chewing and munching.

"Hey, kiddo. You know what this is the first time, you've called me dad. Are you ready to be officially adopted Logan?" said dad gleefully. 

Dad, Logan and Tommy started a discussion on the process of legal adoption and its implications.

"No wonder dad has been coping so well. Jan has been his emotional support. It would be nice to have that sort of support," I thought to myself watching TM hassle Logan about the responsibilities that come with becoming a son.

"So, dad you know that Tommy works for G and G right?" Logan asked off the cuff.

Dad looked up from his bean curd in surprise. "Uh, I didn't know that.." he looked quizzically at Tom. "Aren't you in the process of suing us?"

"Thomas Neville Marshall, is that true? You're suing Beng Yu's company? He didn't say anything to me. That's the trouble with having sons; they don't say much," said Jan apologetically to dad.

"You're called Thomas Neville Marshall?" Logan and I responded together, laughing.

"Mr Longbottom," Logan quipped.

"Thomas Neville Marshall the second," explained Jan recounting their family tree. Being Peranakan, their history was complicated, long, somewhat sordid and involved many nationalities.

Amidst the stifled laughter, TM examined his dough stick carefully unable to meet anyone's eye.

Dad's face reddened and he sputtered, "Action furniture warned us about the lawyers who win every case, is that you?"

"It's okay, dad. He's just quit G and G." I quickly came to Tommy's defence.

"You quit?" said Jan shocked, "When? Why? Did you have to? Why can't TUF just pay? It's not very much for a wealthy company like yours."

Then just like that the atmosphere in the room exploded. We all started talking at the same time. Logan started to explain how TUF was in financial difficulty and downsizing. Jan was going on about setting an example for the furniture industry. Tommy was trying to explain how he needed a break from work to develop other aspects of his life and I was trying to explain how uncovering the truth was important. Drowning out all our voices, was dad who was furious.

"That's not the point..." dad boomed, "You environmental types are always trying to skim profits off an honest business man's hard earned labour. Do you know we started off with nothing? From scratch Daisy and I slaved and toiled...often going hungry, working through the night, scrimping and saving. We set achievable targets and had well defined aims for the company and sweat..." dad was on a roll. Logan and I switched off.

This was the bit of family history, mum had regularly recited as we were growing up and both of us knew every line by hard. Dad's rendition was gentler more persuasive than mum's strident rant. It was like our family pledge, we just had to listen respectfully until it ended.

Jan's higher pitched voiced interrupted dad in mid-sentence. Logan and I almost jumped out of our seats in surprise. It was almost a sacrilege to interrupt.

Jan began her own rant, "Environmental groups aren't leeches as you seem to imply, Beng Yu. They are the social consciousness that big businesses like yours need. Do you read the news? Climate change affects all nations. Floods in the Philippines, Cyclones in Australia, Earthquakes in Samoa? Polar bears..." I could see Tommy glazing over this must be his family's pledge.

Suddenly, before Jan could finish, dad stood up and stalked off towards the door.

"I will not stay here and be insulted," he growled and left the house slamming the door. 

"Hmm, this is rather extreme for my mild-mannered dad. He must be under more stress than I thought," I whispered to the others. 

Logan and I looked at each other. 

Jan and Tommy looked at each other.

From behind the door came increasingly loud stomping, then the door flung open.

"This is my house. Why am I leaving? Please leave, you, you...greenies."

He stood at the doorway staring at the Marshalls sternly but the moment of dramatics had lost its effect and everyone at the table broke out into spontaneous laughter. 

After a few minutes, Jan and Tommy said good night and graciously accepted a ride from Logan. As Tommy brushed pass me at the door, he whispered "You and your family, never cease to amaze me, my dear." With that he was gone.