Chapter 29 Curry Night

In our dining room, another robust discussion broke out; this time the fight was between Zam Zam's curry versus Samy's curry. Again, everyone took sides including the children. Curries were sampled, voted on and a winner announced. Spontaneously, the winning side got up and sang the song 'Curry Night' by Mr Brown. The Marshalls and the Kos were gathered to admire the newly refurbished kitchen, living and dining room. The room was abuzz with laughing, happy chatter and kids running about.

Feeling frustrated, Tommy had trouble catching everyone's attention to make his important announcement. After, his third try, I got up clinked my glass gently with my spoon. Quickly, the room fell silent and all eyes were on me. I cleared my throat and said, "Tommy has good news to share."

Tommy glanced around the room; his face alight with happiness and he said, "Sandy and I are...." The room erupted before he could finish.

"I'm so happy for you. When is the wedding? I know this caterer who makes these vegetable spring rolls to die for, but you have to book him months in advance" said Jan to dad who nodded indulgently.

"Let's take Sandy to our favourite bridal shops," said Ann to Monique, then both turned to me beaming in anticipation.

"Can I be your flower girl?" the girls asked, clapping.

Logan, Bea and Jo burst out laughing.

"No, no, we are not getting married," shouted Tommy above the din. An immediate hush descended on the crowd.

Quickly, Jo ushered the kids into the next room to watch a movie.

"Not yet, at least. We will eventually....but what I wanted to say was Sandy and I are...." said Tommy faltering beneath some obviously disappointed faces.

"Having a baby," shouted Logan. Tommy and I glared at him.

"Thomas Neville Marshall the second, I am so disappointed in you. I can't believe after all I've taught you...." said Jan shaking her head as dad drew her into his arms.

Tommy's sister flew at him with fists out while instinctively Logan, Bea and I quickly formed a line shielding him with our bodies as we took a ready-to-fight stance.

"No, no, she's not," Tommy screamed from behind the human line. His sisters stood down and returned to their seats.

"Sorry, my bad. Not a joking matter, huh?" Logan said apologetically pulling up a chair.

"We're going to work in Indonesia for a couple of years. G and G needs someone to head their legal office in Surabaya and Sandy will teach English in a little mission school while writing her first novel." Tommy quickly divulged.

"Who wants more curry?" asked Logan heading off to the kitchen.

"What about TUF?" asked dad as Jan took his hand.

"TUF is in a strong position, financially stable with a reliable staff team. You can set the direction and we'll hire one of Bea's friends as manager. Logan will help oversee everything; he's ready for this. TUF will be fine without me, dad," I answered soothingly. 

Bea went to sit by dad and whispered something into his ear. He nodded, grinning from ear to ear and looked calm. What a relief! The explosion we expected didn't happen. Logan came back into the room with a pot and started filling empty bowls with more piping hot curry.

"Why don't you get married first? I don't really want a real baby scare, you know," said Jan.

"We're saving up for it, mum. Logistically, it's not possible; we've had a look at the restaurants and wedding venues. All booked solid for at least a year and a half. Plus, if we marry now where would we find a place to live? A HDB flat takes...." Tommy began.

"You can use the family's wedding fund. I doubt, I will marry so we have lot's to spare. It's not easy to find somebody to love, so grab them when you do and not dilly dally," Doris said, "Oh can I be your bridesmaid?" The Marshalls nodded.

"My church can cater and the venue is available and free," said Ann.

"We'll plan the kid's program, Logan can be incharge of music and Jo can be master of ceremonies," volunteered Bea.

"And I insist on being best man. I have the speech already planned out in my head," said Logan.

"Darling, we'll cover the cost of the wedding outfits, right?" said Monique glancing at her husband who was nodded happily.

"My gardening club can do the flowers, video and photography," said Jan excitedly.

"Yes, yes. There's no need for a wedding banquet if money is tight. Marriage is an uphill climb as it is without fussing over the ceremony. With regard to accommodations, you and Tommy can live here when you come back from overseas. By that time, we'll be married and I'll probably move in with Jan. There's no reason to wait and every reason to hurry. I want a grandchild before I'm too old to play with him," said dad thoughtfully.

"Or you can just sell Christopher's grandma's emerald necklace to have the dream wedding, a three-room HDB apartment in Yishun and maybe even a bicycle built for two," said Logan.

For a full half a minute, you could have heard a pin drop. Then the room burst into noise and chatter. From amidst the chaos that followed, I told my version of my friendship with Christopher. Logan told the scrambled version of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight and Tommy insisted on showing everyone the nick on my neck from the spider kite to the amusement of everyone.

As we finished off the last dredges of curry and wiped our bowls clean with bits of prata, my now huge family rallied together and planned. By the time the curry night was over, our whole wedding was organised on our behalf.

--------------------------------------------

This chapter is dedicated to all who are familiar with Mr Brown and PCK :) Thank you for your encouraging comments about the realism of the setting. Most of all a big thank you to Audrey C who has read multiple versions of this story and is patiently reading this final version (Yes, final. I promise). I wouldn't have kept going without you, my friend :)