Chapter 28 Arachnophobia

Tommy came late that night after work. He looked terrible--tired and worn.

"I'm sorry, I never meant for it to turn out like this between us." I said when I saw him.

"Yeah? What else did you think was going to happen? Somehow the world would magically turn back to the time we were holding hands and I was in that bed instead of you?" Tommy said frowning down at me.

I tried to look weak, pathetic and sickly. Groaning and moaning in pain, I lifted my cast for effect, hoping to appeal to his sympathetic nature. 

"Ah, those were good times, in a twisted sort of way. You know, I'm in so, so much pain, I can't even focus on reading," I moaned, quickly tucking my novel under my blanket. "Could you please, stay and read me that book you are holding? For old times sake? I read to you when you were in hospital remember?" I asked pointing at the book he was carrying.

The nurse came in with a glass of apple juice.

He settled himself into a comfy chair beside my bed and flipped to a suitable page. When she left, he began reading to me from Jhumpa Lahiri's Interpreter of Maladies, " Whenever my son is discouraged, I tell him that if I can survive on three continents, then there are no obstacles he cannot conquer. While the astronauts..."

I screamed.

"Wha, what? Are you in pain?"

"Spider," I squealed pointing to the corner of the ceiling and then at my bed. He looked up, then glanced at me. His face took on a grim determined expression as he hopped out of his chair and into bed with me, swinging his book wildly in all directions.

"I'm not sure, I've got it," he said loudly, "I'd better stay here and protect you."

All that while, I was still screaming... until he kissed me--slowly, and seductively as if he had all the time in the world. 

Boy, I missed him.

Then as suddenly as it all began, he let go.

I reached out and hugged him and burying my head in his chest; I said, "I'm so scared. You've got to protect me from spiders forever. Please marry me, TM." Quickly, I planted a kiss on his lips before he could say anything.

He cried.

It was adorable. It made me love him so much more. I never realized that I could have that kind of emotional impact on someone.

"I love you," I said wiping away his tears with my blanket.

His eyes searched mine to see if I was telling the truth. After a few seconds, he let his breath out. A smile started to form on his lips as he nodded his head. It was a really beautiful smile, one that reached his eyes.

"Well, then your hands are cold," he whispered. In a split second, he planted a kiss on me which confirmed that we were totally enamored with each other.

Who would have thought that, arachnophobia could come in useful after all?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

This chapter is dedicated to Nick and all the guys at Cook Street--Ben, Joel and Nathan. Thanks for making the effort; I know ChickLit is not your thing. May you have an exciting, meaningful and abundant time ahead as you begin a new semester :)