Chapter 25 The Curse of the Green Girdle

Not hearing from Tommy was exhausting. After a week of not hearing from him, I tried calling and texting but he was avoiding my calls.

I was going for yet another meeting in Raffles Place and was coming down the escalator to meet my next client over coffee when I stopped short at an urgent urge to see his face again.

According to Jan, somewhere in a nearby building, Tommy was having an interview right at this moment. I ran through the options I had before me and decided being alive was about taking risks. So I took the plunge.

Running, I got to the glass doors of the law firm, just as Tommy emerged. "Good timing," I thought to myself, "It's a good sign." He looked sharp, dressed in a suit and his face lit up when I appeared before him.

"Thomas Marshall the second, do you know that you're so annoying sometimes!" I began shoving a cup of coffee and a bag of donuts into his hands.

"I'm glad. My life goal is to annoy you and it's completed!" he quipped, "You smell good."

"It's the cinnamon in the donuts. Don't think you can sweet talk me. You lying scoundrel!" 

He was acting as if nothing had happened.

"Huh, w-what's did I do? I was only testing you to see how long it would take before you missed me. Do you know that I always call first? A whole week, Sandy, it took you that long! I've been dying." 

He was giving me the puppy-eyed look that made my insides turn to mush.

I had to be strong so I made a face and almost shouted, "How dare you stand there and make lame excuses like that!? Act like nothing is going on, you know very well what I'm referring to!"

"Seriously, chill and spill. I've no idea why you are so mad."

"I'm not mad, I'm disappointed in you, Thomas Marshall."

"How did you know I find donuts irresistible? I haven't eaten since six this morning..." he was distracting me.

We headed for some trees and plonked ourselves on a rather narrow park bench facing some children flying kites. A cool breeze swept across the freshly cut grass and the postcard-like serenity was in contrast to my inner churning stomach.

"I'm starving too. They are from The Donut Bowery...let's see if I can get the flavours right. Hazelnut Milk Chocolate, Coffee Roasted Almond, Apple Cinnamon, Sugared Original, Blueberry Kreme and em...something Pink Glazed, I forget." 

I bite into the pink one and a raspberry filling flowed out.

"Hmm...this is definitely coffee and almonds. I know macaroons are now in but really donuts just hits the right spot every time," he said.

We ate in silence, savouring each bite. This was I missed most--the ease. It was comforting and comfortable being together sharing a life. I snapped out of it quickly and blamed the sudden blissful state on the sugar rush.

"Okay, I'm going to give you one chance." I said sternly

"W-what are you talking about, what-" Tommy looked genuinely puzzled as he shrugged.

"I'm gonna give you one chance to tell me if there's anything going on that I should know about."

"Can I get a hint?" he pleaded.

"Alice..." I said smacking his shoulders.

"Oh, oh...did you see us at Boat Quay? Ah I see, no wonder you're mad. No, no, you've got it all wrong. She invited me out to tell me she's engaged and to apologise for her lunatic interlude."