Chapter 24 The gift

The champagne was chilling, the candles were burning, and the diamond ring was on the table in front of my plate. Christopher was describing the adventures of his trip to Japan as we ate a delicious looking meal that I could hardly taste.

I was out of my depth. Unfamiliar territory. I had never done what I was about to do before. I went over in my mind the 'three reasons I can't marry you' speech again. It was chicken feed compared to the two big questions I had to ask Christopher. If they were wrong about this, I will never, ever talk to both of them again, ever. How did Logan and Tommy even become best buddies? I guess, they did have me in common. I smiled deliriously to myself before slapping myself on the cheeks so that I would focus on the task at hand.

Suddenly, Christopher pushed his plate away, grabbed my hand and gazed lovingly into my eyes. Doris was right; he was drop dead gorgeous.

"Sandy, honey, are you ready to give an answer?" he asked expectantly.

Uneasy, I could not look him in the eyes as I gave my 'reasons I can't marry you' speech. Prepared, I was logical, convincing and gentle but when I finished, I was so thirsty. Quickly, I drank half a glass of water in preparation for what was next and looked up. Expressionless, he stared into my eyes blankly but did not seem surprise. 

He was a very intelligent man, that Doctorate of Philosophy counted for something. 

Inscrutable and silent, he sat there still for a long time.

"Actually, Christopher honey, I have two important questions to ask as well. Just don't get upset that I'm asking them....you know how we've been always absolutely honest with each other and we'll always be best of friends." 

I ventured carefully. 

He nodded and waited.

"Em... I'm not sure how to say this except bluntly...so I'll just blurt it out okay? Christopher, sweet-heart...Are you gay?" 

I asked quickly and gulped down the rest of my water.

He nodded and breathed out strongly and said, "No one knows, not even my closest friends. I wanted to tell you, Sandy. There were so many times I nearly did but you were so in love with me. When my parents wanted me to marry to pass on our heritage, I could only think of you. You are my intellectual equal and a bloody good sport. Just one child would satisfy my parents, surely we could manage that? Undoubtedly, I could be so good to you, but my heart would belong elsewhere..." his voice grew wistful.

"With Logan?" I asked gently patting his hands.

"You guessed? Gosh, I'm so glad. I have been feeling like a cad. I've been forlorn and in love with him since he came to stay with you that fateful summer. Has he ever asked about me?" 

Christopher talked excitedly about Logan. 

Just like that, I was back on familiar ground. By dessert, Christopher was moanful as he described the pain of Logan's neglect and I was giving him my "better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all" speech. Christopher seemed resigned that his plan to see more of Logan by marrying me ploy would never work. By coffee, I managed to convince him to come out of the closet and begin with his parents.

"Sandy, in my own way I've always loved you, platonically of course. You are one in million and like a sod, I've never properly thanked you. Only because I've always felt guilty for using you and not being able to return your passion. Now, that all has been revealed I can. Thank you for helping me through my thesis, the editing, the discussions, housework and companionship. You are a fabulous friend. I want you to have this, it's my grandmother's."