Chapter 9 Who would you marry?

Logan was dropping me off at yet another driving lesson. As we were zooming along, he skirted round and round the question he really wanted to ask.

"So, what are you going to do about Tommy? You can't avoid him forever. Plus it's not your style, you're more the 'confront, disarm and kick in the shin' type of girl."

"I'm carefully deciding which part of his body to maim. Considering, I've already smashed his brains in, maybe I should just call it even. How about you? What's been happening? Who's that babe with the purple hair, hanging out in your apartment over weekend? Do you even know her name?"

"Pass. Ask me an easier question."

"What music does she listen to?" I said glad that he was dating again. He was back to his old flirtatious self. Yet, there was a part of me that felt sorry for the girl, I hoped it was a fling for her too.

"Suzanne Vega. Vintage music. I'm fuzzy on the details. We've only spent a weekend together unlike you who's got no excuse. You've spent all your available time with him for the last couple of months and.... "

"He was asleep for a fair bit of it. Anyway, he likes Bon Jovi and we share the same taste in books. I know the important stuff."

"Yeah. Not knowing he is the evil legal mind of G and G, that's kind of important, sweet cakes."

"Planting the knockout blow to his head in court will be all the more satisfying then," I said with grim determination.

"Hmm...Your situation is almost like that story you've gone on about for years... you know, the one about the hero who has to meet the giant after a year because he chopped off the giant's head in a New Year's Challenge. Right before he meets the giant again to face a return blow, he is tempted by three sets of gifts and kisses."

"Sir Gawain and the Green Knight? Logan, are you comparing me to Sir Gawain and Tommy to the Green Knight?"

"Yeah, can't you see the parallels? You get a kiss and coffee; he turns out to be the evil lawyer like the Lord Bertilak of the castle turns out to be the Green Knight."

"Nah, a peck on the cheek doesn't count," I muttered.

"In the end, because the Gawain dude lied, he was nicked in the neck. Moral of the story, be very careful of Tommy." He went on.

"Hah. You're not making much sense, you know. Ms Purple Hair didn't let you get much sleep, did she? Anyway, let's talk about something else, just thinking about Tommy makes my head spin."

Rather abruptly, he asked me about my thoughts on marriage, which was pretty weird for Logan. I didn't think he could even say the word without gagging. Marriage seemed to be on everyone's mind.

"If you could marry a celebrity who would you choose? And no darling... no greed...you can't have all, pick one," asked Logan breaching a sensitive topic. He had sat like a Greek statue throughout Christopher's proposal but I had refused to discuss it with him after dinner.

"Hugh Grant, of course" smiling at his feeble attempt to get to what he really wanted to know.

He stared at the road in front of him and said sullenly. "Why? Isn't he completely flippant and shallow?"

Ironically, the very words which many damsels in despair used to describe Logan.

"No," I replied, "He is intelligent, witty, self-aware and articulate. He reminds me of Christopher, remember?"

Logan shook his head and said indignantly, "not convinced, Sandy. Why not an action hero? Hugh Jackman- beasty and wild, or Ryan Reynolds-amusing and bright, or Chris Evans-always on-call to save the day."