Chapter 12

It's now tomorrow and just like Dallas promised, we're on a date. Instead of it being a three way date, We made it four. That way Jamie didn't feel left out... Even if her date was her 15 year old brother. We'd still have fun.

By my demands, it's in the daytime, in a public area. WITH PEOPLE AROUND! I just couldn't risk another prank date. I could barely handle myself then. I don't think I could do another.

"I bet I'm the worst date you ever had. Aren't I?" I asked Dallas.

Since we've been to this restaurant... I don't know the name of it, but I've done nothing to signify this as a date. I won't let him touch me. He can't hold my hand. He can't feed me food. And he can't get me in private. Everything we do is as a group with Jamie and Michael. I just want to make sure I can trust him. I'm doing a horrible job.

"No. Not really." Dallas shrugged. "You're not even close to the worst." Oh that just caused curiosity.

"What has been your worst date?" I asked. "What could possibly be worse than this?"

"I'd really rather not." Dallas mumbled under his breath as he put his head down in a shameful manner.

"Aww, come on." Michael sang. "Inquiring minds want to know."

"Well," Dallas sighed. "It was like 2 years ago. There was this one girl who I really liked. After weeks of anticipation. I finally worked up the courage to ask her on a date. And just like Callister's date. It was a set up... The guys beat me up, called me some really nasty things, showered me in slushies and threw me in the dumpster. They also held me down while the girls put make-up all over me and took some vulgar pictures."

I couldn't hear anymore of his story. It made me feel even worse about myself... About the fake date with Princeton... About what happened to Dallas... About EVERYTHING!

"I'm so sorry." I whispered, tears beginning to swell into my eyes. They swelled in both of our eyes. I don't know how he survived that.

"How did you... you know?"

"Actually, I moved away. Changed schools, changed my number. I just felt the need to reinvent myself. I eventually realized cutting myself and popping pills and smoking weed wasn't getting me anywhere at all. So I changed everything about myself. I completely turned off girls, so now I'm only into guys. I graduated top of my class with a clean 4.0 GPA, and I also hit a scholarship to UCLA. I start next year."

"That's great!" Jamie exclaimed. "What are you going to study?"

"Pediatrics or Psychology." Dallas smiled, wiping the tear from my eyes and his, followed by a quick hug. "I love children. I want to help them. I look at my life and what I went through. It would be nice to help those kids who have went through the same thing, let them know they're not alone and that anything is possible."

How perfect could he get? He's in my book what I call a true hero. Why can't I be more like him huh? He's an inspiration on what it means to not give up on life just because of an obstacle in your way.

"You are too sweet Dallas." Jamie swooned. "I wish more people were like you."

"Well thanks." Dallas smiled.

I noticed Michael from the corner of my eye. The whole time he's just sitting there watching Dallas and I together. Bringing him was probably a bad idea. I'm doing nothing but hurting him. For the time being I'll just try to keep an appropriate distance from Dallas.

"So enough of this sad talk." Dallas clapped. "This date is about Callister and getting to know him and his friends. So how about you guys tell me about yourselves?"