6. A Little Less Than Average

6

I was dripping wet.  They set me on the couch and wrapped a blanket around me.  “Where are you taking him?!  Where am I?”

“Calm down sweetheart, you’re safe.” A woman in her late fifties said.

“What’s wrong with him?  Why isn’t he waking up?  Where is he?!”

The lady came and sat next to me and rubbed my back soothingly.  “Don’t worry.  He’s being taken to a room to be treated.  He’s used his ability too much at once.  There are limitations to what we can do.”

“We?”

“All of us.  You do have an ability right?”

“Yes.”

“Alright well what is it?”

I searched her head to see if I could trust her.  She was clear.  “I can read people’s minds.”

“Oh!  How wonderful!  So can Jessica!”

“Oh.”

“And don’t worry, your friend will be fine.  He just needs rest.  And we need to change your clothes before you get sick my dear.”  She wrapped her arm around my shoulder and we stood up.  “So what’s your name?”

“I’m Felicity Jones.”

“Wait, you’re Felicity?”

“Yes.”

“Oh my.  Well come with me darling.  We’ll get you cleaned up.”  We started up stairs.  “Jessica!”  She called.

“Yes?”  A cute little blond short haired girl said, poking her head out of a doorway.

“We have a new friend for you.”

“Who?”  She said in boredom.

“This is Felicity Jones.  She’s also a mind reader.”

“Well it’s nice to meet you Felicity.”

“Nice to mean you too.”

“Can you take care of her?  I don’t want her to catch a cold.  Just let her borrow some clothes.  She’s about your size.”

“She’s taller than me.”

“Please Jessica, just help the poor girl.  I have to go see how her friend is doing.”

“Oh, your ‘other half’?”  She asked me as the other lady walked away.

“I guess you could say that.”  I said walking into her room.

“Sit down over there.”

I sat down on a bench in front of a vanity.  “So I know we don’t know each other at all, but do you have another half?”

“I do.  He’s my husband.”

“Oh, I thought…”

“You thought I was younger than you.”

“Well yeah.”

“I’m twenty one.  My husband is probably helping Carol’s husband patch up your boy.”

“Carol?”

“The lady that just helped you.  She has the ability of magnetism.”

“Magnetism?”

“She can pretty much control metal.  It’s complicated.”

“I see.  What can your husband do?”