Chapter 4: A dark shack which is more than a dark shack.

As Rebecca flew through the air, she had a sudden sense of dread. Not that she hated the experience of flying, in fact quite the opposite. With Ty on his Dracocycle to her right, Rebecca felt as though she could continue to fly forever. Riding the two flying motorcycles named Bambam and Pebbles, wings spread out to the night sky, and the cool summer air rushing over her skin, Rebecca thought that she might have come as close as possible to heaven.

Unfortunately, the ride had to come to an end. With the augmentation of her senses to the Dracocycle, Pebbles, she could tell that the scent of the Dragonfly Lady was near. They were approaching the mountain, which dominated the horizon for most of the ride, and below them now was a sea of trees, rushing quickly behind as they soared forward. With the scent of the letter having had remined in the back of her mind during the entirety of the ride, it now began to pull forward and fill her every thought.

It was a perfect mix of lavender and exotic spices, filling the nose to open the sinuses like mint, with a calming purple smell that helped her relax. Then with a sudden burst of afterthought, the spices like cinnamon and apples washed over the body and made the heart ache with fondness for home, no matter where that home was.

Rebecca could tell too, when they started to approach the destination, as Pebbles began to lower their flight path, because Rebecca subconsciously felt the need to get closer to the ground. The whooshing of trees brought Rebecca out of her hypnotic state and she focused on the world around her. She avoided the massive pines as she lowered ever quicker and watched as Ty moved ahead of her.

He dodged and weaved to keep from hitting, but he did it with style and grace. This made Rebecca want to do the same, and she followed suit, trying to catch him. He noticed that she was moving in on him, he smiled that smile that only Ty could, and he pressed forward. Her heart beat quickly, and she knew he was a better flyer than she was, but that wouldn't stop her from keeping up.

Swishing back and forth, the trees seemed to jump out at them, and they came low to the ground, Ty even for a moment rode along a fallen trunk. Rebecca took a quick left while feeling the sense of smell growing within her, and she laughed as Ty went off track and had to make a large turn to course correct. Rebecca continued on and sped through the forest. She hoped the wildlife and animals didn't get in her way, scared and half-minded that she might hit a stray elk or bear.

Soon, Ty came steaming toward her and she could hear Bambam's motor revving hard and trying to catch her. She laughed and spun at the last second, letting Ty zip underneath her. He looked up and winked at her as he sped by.

Then, suddenly, the smell was all consuming. Rebecca and Ty both looked around while slowing down, to see where they should go. The wings of the Dracocycles folded in and let them drop to the ground, and they continued slowly through the woods. Leisurely they drove next to each other and kept their noses up in the air like one would near a bread factory.

Soon, they came upon a small home, surrounded by the thick pines and heavy trunks of other trees. It had a door, and one single window, build into the ground with rotting wood, and the roof seemed to be giving into gravity every second of every day. It was less a house and more a shack in the woods. It was dark, and Rebecca was certain a light fog crept about the house low to the ground.

As Rebecca and Ty parked their Dracocycles and stepped on the ground, Rebecca realized that all the years of riding horses had prepared her for a ride such as this, though she was still slightly sore. Meanwhile, Ty hissed and moaned as he took steps, hunched over from the sudden weight on his joints and muscles.